British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Have I identified it right? 1874 Halfpenny

Thanks everyone. Just managed to get a hold of the full back issue of Coin News for 2004, thanks to Tyneside NS book library(Cheers Ian Nutsaboutcoins),so just starting to look through those now. Hopefully that should help a lot when identifying the halfpennies from now on. Thanks guys.

Your welcome Brian, hope it helps.

just managed to get a close up of the bottom of the 1874 halfpenny. It maybe whats left of an "H" but not sure. Would have thought if the H was worn away so would have part of the rim or base of at least one of the Numerals. There is something there granted.

Regards

Brian

post-8845-0-82386300-1450387806_thumb.jp

It could be damage from pitting similar to the left of the lighthouse and around the ship?

• Like 1

Possibly. I just can't seem to make out an "H". But as stated above the configuration of the die would make it more likely to be a 1874H!

Edited by bhx7

On another point I tried to contact Mal Lewandon via Facebook but have had no reply. Can anyone that knows him ask if he still has the CD's for sale.

No "H' to be seen.

Jerry

• Like 1

There are examples known of halfpennies with and without H, with obverse 11 and 12

• Like 1

Thanks Bernie, Appreciate all the help :D

just managed to get a close up of the bottom of the 1874 halfpenny. It maybe whats left of an "H" but not sure. Would have thought if the H was worn away so would have part of the rim or base of at least one of the Numerals. There is something there granted.

Regards

Brian

Die fill is another possibility but I think Bernie has resolved it.

On another point I tried to contact Mal Lewandon via Facebook but have had no reply. Can anyone that knows him ask if he still has the CD's for sale.

He is registered as Mal on this forum and he replied to my PM but I haven't heard back from him since.

• Like 1

Regards

Brian

Die fill is another possibility but I think Bernie has resolved it.

He is registered as Mal on this forum and he replied to my PM but I haven't heard back from him since.

I conversed with him on facebook. He said he still sells the disks. They are 15 pounds, plus postage. You can probably find him on facebook easier than the Forum, as he doesn't seem to visit the Forum that much.

• Like 1

Just bought a copy for £16 inclusive of P&P which should be winging its way to me first thing on Monday!

Looking forward to recieving it.

Thanks

Brian

This is Mal - Hello everyone.............Just been reading the threads and I can confirm that 1874 halfpennies with, and without, Heaton mintmarks exist with Obverses 11 & 12 - missed by Freeman. This coin appears to have the R of BRITT pointing to a gap. Obverse 12 has the R slightly twisted clockwise, so that it nearly points to a tooth, therefore, I would say it is Obverse 11.

• Like 2

Thanks Mal, appreciate that. Looking forward to receiving the disc.

Regards

Brian

This is Mal - Hello everyone.............Just been reading the threads and I can confirm that 1874 halfpennies with, and without, Heaton mintmarks exist with Obverses 11 & 12 - missed by Freeman. This coin appears to have the R of BRITT pointing to a gap. Obverse 12 has the R slightly twisted clockwise, so that it nearly points to a tooth, therefore, I would say it is Obverse 11.

Hello Mal, Merry Christmas !!

I have looked at many Halfpennies that are firmly established Freeman catalogue numbered obverse 11 and 12, but still am not convinced that there are any significant differences. For a variety to be different we should surely be able to pick it up and tell the difference without any doubt. I have quite a few halfpennies in very high grade dated 1874 and 1875, many that I have obtained from long established collectors, claiming that they are of one obverse or another. I pick them up and it doesn't matter how much I examine them, I cannot see any significant difference between any of them, There is just one exception, the obverse coins with reverse L that I have seen have a damaged "I" in BRITT.

I challenge anyone to supply me with an indicator that will separate these two said varieties. The angle of the "R" in BRITT does vary slightly on my halfpennies of 11 and 12 but surely there must be more significant differences to make a coin a different variety.

Hi Bernie

You are correct with the flaw on the I, but it is not on all 12 + L. I am the same as you when it comes to identifying which is which. It was easy until Iain came out with 12 + J..... I sent Iain 6 pictures (1874 and 1875) without telling him what I thought they were, and he came back with the same 'guess' as I made, so I was quite pleased that I thought the same as him. For everybody - here are 11 and 12 (without the flaw).

post-712-0-95627500-1450625382_thumb.jpgpost-712-0-95627500-1450625382_thumb.jpg

Hello Mal,

Chomping at the bit here ! waiting to see if you can convince me that there are distinguishable differences !

I cannot open to see your bigger pictures.

I too sent pictures of a few 11's 12's to halfpenny collectors, but results came back mostly with different opinions.

Please check if you can open the pictures posted. It could be my laptop missing a program.

• Like 1

Bernie, I also cannot see the bigger pictures when I click on them

• Like 1

Won't open for me either, so I'll try again.............

post-712-0-70700800-1450703711_thumb.jpg

post-712-0-30807300-1450703734_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

attachicon.gifOb11.jpg

attachicon.gifOb12.jpg

That one works, Thanks! :)

attachicon.gifOb11.jpg

attachicon.gifOb12.jpg

Nice pictures, the ones in Freeman are awful. How do we order your CD please?

Thanks for the interest in the CD. Send me - mjlew@orange.fr - a payment via Paypal of £16 and I'll send you a copy. Send me your address to the same email.

best regards........Mal

Hi Davidrj

If you have a Paypal account, you can send me a payment of £16. My account is mjlew@orange.fr. Let me know if you don't have a Paypal account and we'll sort out something else.

Best regards.Mal Lewendon

If you have a Paypal account, you can send me a payment of £16.

Done!, Many thanks Mal

David

My copy arrived safely thanks Mal,

Jerry

Thanks Mal, mine arrived safely today too. Cheers Brian