British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Have I identified it right? 1874 Halfpenny

Hi All

After Pete quizzed me yesterday on a coin I just thought I would have a go at identifying a Victorian Halfpenny I got for free. (By the way thanks Pete, totally appreciate all the help you have been giving me).

Anyway, I think it is Freeman 316 - Obv 9 Rev J. Have I got it right? As I seem to be picking up a few Victorian pieces lately thought it was time I started actually looking into them a bit more.

Thanks all in advance.

Brian

post-8845-0-35412000-1448556446_thumb.jp

Looks like a 12+J to me, could be wrong, halfpennies are so difficult to identify. Especially obverse 11/12. Also this coin may have started life as an 1874H with the H flattened.

Hi Bernie

I have studied the coin closely with a magnifier and definately no H present or any sign of it ever having been there. As for Obv 12. I thought 1874's only went up to Obv 10!

Cheers

Brian

I'd go with 9J, after pondering Freeman for 15 minutes.

Jerry

• Like 1

Thanks Jerry. Have to say it wasn't the easiest to identify. I wish it was one of the other none "H" versions as this is the commonest at R12.

Cheers Brian

I agree with Bernie 12+J . Looks like a thick neck which would make it an obverse 10 or 12. obverse 10 I think is only known on Heaton Halfpennies? The hair overlaps the forehead which would indicate either obverses 11 or 12, so I'd go 12.

Victorian Bronze Halfpenny varieties by Ian Dracott were published in Coin News in April, May and July 2004. The obverses and reverses were described in the first 2 issues and the known pairings were listed in the July issue. There are far more varieties in here than in Freeman, also rarity levels for each die pairs are noted too. Worth getting a copy if you can. Unfortunately there was very few pictures but . . . .

I also had a CD which had large high grade pictures of each obverse and reverse, I tried to load it up a few months back but the CD seems to be damaged. I cant remember if I got the CD from Ian?, it was some time ago. Possibly other members on here might have a copy.

• Like 1

Have a read of Freeman obverse 11 description, then 12, Jerry

Will do, but now you guys have got me puzzled. According to my copy of Freeman, the 1985 one, the 1874 date halfpenny (with or without H) only occurs with obverses 7, 8,9 and 10. Has this been revised? Dont forget we are looking at halfpennies here, not the pennies I am more familiar with.

Jerry

• Like 1

Victorian Bronze Halfpenny varieties by Ian Dracott were published in Coin News in April, May and July 2004. The obverses and reverses were described in the first 2 issues and the known pairings were listed in the July issue. There are far more varieties in here than in Freeman, also rarity levels for each die pairs are noted too. Worth getting a copy if you can. Unfortunately there was very few pictures but . . . .

I also had a CD which had large high grade pictures of each obverse and reverse, I tried to load it up a few months back but the CD seems to be damaged. I cant remember if I got the CD from Ian?, it was some time ago. Possibly other members on here might have a copy.

Ah, that might be the explanation.

Jerry

Ah, that might be the explanation.

Jerry

The Half Penny CD with all the varieties was made by Mal Lewanden. He is on Facebook, you can probably message him there and purchase a copy. I think they are 20-25 pounds.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, that sounds like an essential purchase for halfpenny collectors, but also one I should look into.

Jerry

Is the CD or the articles more up to date?

• Like 1

The Half Penny CD with all the varieties was made by Mal Lewanden. He is on Facebook, you can probably message him there and purchase a copy. I think they are 20-25 pounds.

Is https://www.facebook.com/MalLewendon or https://www.facebook.com/malcolm.lewendon the guy? Wasn't sure on the spelling of the surname.

That is him Mr T........

• Like 1

Mr T, would be really interested in your thoughts after you get the CD.

Cheers Brian

Cheers Brian

Yes I'll see if I can got onto him during the week - unfortunately the halfpennies are a bit unloved and there's no good up-to-date reference with decent pictures (that I know of anyway).

• Like 1

Cheers Brian

Yes I'll see if I can got onto him during the week - unfortunately the halfpennies are a bit unloved and there's no good up-to-date reference with decent pictures (that I know of anyway).

Most of the pictures on Mal's CD are very good! In fact some reference books, including CCGB have used them, in their publ;ications.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob.

I'm thinking 11+J - if you look at the photos in Freeman the I in BRITT and the : after BRITT point at different things on obverses 11 and 12 and the image here suggests obverse 11.

That said, I think the images in Freeman show a more hooked nose on obverse 11 in spite of obverse 12's description.

Thanks everyone. Just managed to get a hold of the full back issue of Coin News for 2004, thanks to Tyneside NS book library(Cheers Ian Nutsaboutcoins),so just starting to look through those now. Hopefully that should help a lot when identifying the halfpennies from now on. Thanks guys.

I'm thinking 11+J - if you look at the photos in Freeman the I in BRITT and the : after BRITT point at different things on obverses 11 and 12 and the image here suggests obverse 11.

That said, I think the images in Freeman show a more hooked nose on obverse 11 in spite of obverse 12's description.

Mr T,

Thank you for your input so far.

Please would you share your observations on the precise difference comparisons of I in BRITT and alignment of Colon Dots after BRITT. on obverse 11 and 12.

I believe that Most if not all Freeman 322's 12+L have a wonkey I in BRITT.

I look at halfpennies of said obverse 11 and 12 until I'm blue in the face, but can't find a significant difference identifier.

Hi Mr T, just looking at reverse J, it seems to always indicate "H" fir Heaton mint. Mine has no "H" and no sign of I ever being there. Am trying to get my head around it at the moment. Help

Thanks Brian

Will have another good look at the coin close up.

Mr T,

Thank you for your input so far.

Please would you share your observations on the precise difference comparisons of I in BRITT and alignment of Colon Dots after BRITT. on obverse 11 and 12.

I believe that Most if not all Freeman 322's 12+L have a wonkey I in BRITT.

I look at halfpennies of said obverse 11 and 12 until I'm blue in the face, but can't find a significant difference identifier.

I don't have my copy of Freeman available at the moment so I might have things the wrong way around but it looked to me like the I in BRITT on obverse 11 is just to the right of a denticle while it is firmly between denticles on obverse 12, and the : on obverse 11 points between denticles while it points at a denticle on obverse 12.

Hi Mr T, just looking at reverse J, it seems to always indicate "H" fir Heaton mint. Mine has no "H" and no sign of I ever being there. Am trying to get my head around it at the moment. Help

Thanks Brian

Not sure - it looks like there's a mark where the H should be in your photo. All the same, the Royal Mint would have tried new dies before sending them to Heaton, unless this reverse die was first used in an earlier year.