British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Looking to grade my sixpence

Hi Everyone

I am not really a silver buyer but saw this and just liked the look of it.

Think I did OK but would be interested in the grade. Definately looks better in hand.

Thanks all in advance!

Brian

post-8845-0-88355600-1448401422_thumb.jp

My guess (I'm not an expert) would be VF+ to NEF

• Like 1

My guess (I'm not an expert) would be VF+ to NEF

That was my first impression too.

• Like 1

By way of comparison, here is my 1924 sixpence:

iOStfN.jpg

wscE8q.jpg
  • Like 1

Very nice.

Thanks guys totally appreciate your time in answering. So £8 including p&p was ok then.

Edited by bhx7

Thanks guys totally appreciate your time in answering. So £8 including p&p was ok then.

Yes, sounds like a fair price.

Sorry but I have to differ. With reference to Rotographics Standard Guide to Grading British coins I would grade the example of the 1924 sixpence at at least EF with the other example at UNC. I would give the higher grading as the wear on the King's ear is minimal and on the obverse the lion's nose has a similar amount of wear. As this is a 1924 dated coin the mint quality was beginning to improve and a coin in this condition minted in 1922 or earlier would probably be graded higher.

• Like 3

I would have put it at EF myself for the same reasons as ozjohn

• Like 1

I would grade as ef but really on a small coin it is really dificult to grade without having it in hand

• Like 1

I'd say GVF only (still good for £8 though). Am I in the minority in thinking a lot of Rotographic's EF's (and VF's) to be a tad lenient?

Probably not because it's so subjective, but nothing will be 100% in this area. I think it's a great gateway book into grading however, and while some grades might not be bang on the money it definitely helps you to get a general feel of high areas that wear on a design and what to look for.

Also don't forget it's Chris' baby, so don't expect a ton of criticism of his book on his free site :lol:

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 1

I'd say GVF only (still good for £8 though). Am I in the minority in thinking a lot of Rotographic's EF's (and VF's) to be a tad lenient?

Personally I don't think its too lenient - of course grading can be very subjective but I think this book does an excellent job overall and is a must have for any new collector.

I still refer to in now and then myself and it is the only book on grading I ever recommend to anyone who asks for my advice.

• Like 1

Get the hardback Swanny you won't regret it

I'd run with GVF.

GVF for me too, from the pics alone (of course) ... needs a better lion's face for EF imo

Edited by Paulus

I would say mine was slightly better than Chris' 1924. The nose definition on rev and also the scratch across the lower bust on obv surely should reduce grading to less than mine.

Plus as I said it is better in hand than the photo would suggest.

Sticking up for my coin now :D:P

As you should.

It is a quality coin. :)

• Like 1

Swanny,

The hardback version of Rotographics for grading British coins is very good but if you have an iPad the Kindle version is very convenient for coin fairs and has the added advantage of being able to enlarge the illustrations for a better view. In addition if you can scan or photograph your collection you may be able to store a record of your collection on the iPad for reference for when thinking about a coin with a view of upgrading it when at a coin fair etc. It may avoid some expensive mistakes.