British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SWANNY

CGS UK & Ebay

Tom , you words have pushed me to the purchase , sod the bank account

• Like 1

Swanny this is what we mentioned earlier.

Sellers can ask what they want and unfortunately some sellers are greedy and unrealistic.

CGS give a value on each coin unless rejected (IMO maximum) ,because you know what day it is you can look at another coin to buy or make an offer ,surely recent coins dont need to be slabbed ?.

One thing in fairness to slabbers is you sent your coin for an independent opinion and sometimes you or the seller may disagree.

If you dont want a guide on grade/value/authentication thats ok and dont send it to anyone regardless of TPG.

A few people on here i would send a picture and trust and even then as i recently have sent an expensive coin for grading as i will incur a further cost.

I dont sell any and have some i wouldnt send to get slabbed due to obvious problems.

You bought a cleaned coin and they told you and thats what you paid for ,what did the seller say ?.

In my opinion they did an honest service and if you want to kick up a fuss tell the person who sold it you its not worth arguing.

I received two back from slabbing out of a large batch this week and got an immediate refund.

The seller knows i will buy from them again and i was happy that the downgrade /problem would not be found in twenty years time.

I would be saying thanks to.... CGS...... SWANNY , they gave you an honest opinion rather than told you what you wanted to hear.

Pete.

Pete , I am not referring to my Gothic here , I am pointing to the prices people are asking for slabbed coins

On the other hand , I am in communication with CGS at this time , and will be starting a new thread very soon called "GOTHIC CROWN - PART 2"

This will make a good read, and put people off slabbing coins.....

Is it going to be another thread about Semra haha :D

5 hours ago, SWANNY said:

Pete , I am not referring to my Gothic here , I am pointing to the prices people are asking for slabbed coins

On the other hand , I am in communication with CGS at this time , and will be starting a new thread very soon called "GOTHIC CROWN - PART 2"

Not sure if it will put me off ............We all have different reasons for someone giving  an opinion and i am happy with the service they have provided.

But as always interested to read your forthcoming post.

Please remember its an open forum and therefore dont think everyone will clap  hands and i suggest you think first before you post as only fair.

Easy to say negatives and unfortunately we dont say hat off enough

Easy to find faults with most people (myself included) sometimes worth giving them the chance to reply rather than SHOUT.

Dont know what your comments will be but enjoy Christmas and all the best.

Pete.

Just waiting on delivery of a special camera that can get close up pictures of coins, so looks like new thread will be next year

Happy Xmas all.......

Swanny reading my post again ,think i am loosing it.

Blame Matt as he was good enough to send me a bottle of whisky and drank it yesterday :huh:

Looking forward to reading your post with interest.

Pete.

On 12/4/2015 at 2:45 PM, SWANNY said:

"Like anything of value and being highly collectible, it is probably only a matter of time before criminals decide to copy these coins and pass them off as originals. This is why I have decided to have my coins independently assessed and graded."

There's your answer :lol: it's because of all those criminals minting £20 coins that can't be spent. 

These coins in and of themselves aren't going to shift at those prices but if you package them up nicely and stick a label on then you've got a product that's easier to market - not forgetting to throw in a bit of spiel about their supposed investment value. 

It used to always piss me off too seeing coins I wanted to buy being slabbed and (in my opinion) overpriced, but meh there are so many coins out there just buy something else instead and wait for the next one to come along.

Or starting building a cricket library, it's a cheaper way of being an anorak. ^_^

Merry christmas all. 

Edited by damian1986

The problem is whether you like entombed coins or not  they are here to stay.

This may not be popular but many collectors really go for it. They actually think that the difference between CGS 78 or CGS 80 is a big deal.

Personally I think ' practically as struck with just a hint of wear at the highest points' is just as good.

So like everything else with coins its just down to opinion. The more conservative the opinion the better.

As to CGS, well I don't think they deserve the kicking they frequently get. From what I can see they are not in any way less credible than PCGS or NGC. I would suggest they are more familiar with the UK market. I cant see a case for taking a coin out of their slab, shipping it elsewhere, for someone to tell me what I already know.

I also note with interest that those who sometimes criticize CGS have suggested they may be useful for adding authenticity to potentially faked coins such as Wreath Crowns. Perhaps a little more consistency needed here.

As to whether slabbing adds value, probably not, however there is no doubt some are prepared to pay a premium for it. Just look at the prices paid for George VI date runs at London coins recently. Well differences of opinion make a market. Love them or hate them CGS are certainly creating a market.

On 23. prosince 2015 at 3:09 PM, SWANNY said:

On 4. prosince 2015 at 2:45 PM, SWANNY said:

Well, what is your point exactly? I can post hundreds of links where the Ebay sellers asking ridiculous prices for overgraded, cleaned, misattributed raw coins. Am I going to start a new thread which „will make a good read and put people off raw coins“? No. Why would I?

Also, how many coins have you already sent for grading? Usually these types of hate posts are written by people who sent one or two coins and are unhappy with the result (as the grade was not the one they expected or were told by the seller) or some exposed dealers (not from this website I should say) when their „UNC“ coins turned out to be EF... I know collectors who sent hundreds of coins to CGS for grading, and apart from poor customer service (I agree as well), they are happy with the service – believe it or not. 

13 hours ago, Guest said:

The problem is whether you like entombed coins or not  they are here to stay.

This may not be popular but many collectors really go for it. They actually think that the difference between CGS 78 or CGS 80 is a big deal.

Personally I think ' practically as struck with just a hint of wear at the highest points' is just as good.

So like everything else with coins its just down to opinion. The more conservative the opinion the better.

As to CGS, well I don't think they deserve the kicking they frequently get. From what I can see they are not in any way less credible than PCGS or NGC. I would suggest they are more familiar with the UK market. I cant see a case for taking a coin out of their slab, shipping it elsewhere, for someone to tell me what I already know.

I also note with interest that those who sometimes criticize CGS have suggested they may be useful for adding authenticity to potentially faked coins such as Wreath Crowns. Perhaps a little more consistency needed here.

As to whether slabbing adds value, probably not, however there is no doubt some are prepared to pay a premium for it. Just look at the prices paid for George VI date runs at London coins recently. Well differences of opinion make a market. Love them or hate them CGS are certainly creating a market.

I don't have an issue with slabbing. Although most of my coins are raw, at least 50 of them are slabbed. Neither do I have a problem with CGS or London Coins where I am a regular bidder/buyer.

My question is really one about market credibility. As a regular buyer at Heritage, I see NGC and PCGS all the time. I never see CGS. Neither do I see CGS at DNW or Spink where I also buy. It is only really at the London Coins auctions. So my question is how credible compared to the more established third party graders is CGS and how well are they accepted in the market place as a result?

Edited by jaggy

Why would anyone get their coins slabbed by CGS ? Lot 2792 in their last auction was slabbed by CGS  as 1855 P1509 PT when it's blindingly obvious that it's a P1508 Ornamental Trident (with far colon after DEF to confirm it) !!!!! If they get that wrong, what else ????????

• Like 1

All my coins, bar 2 which were given as gifts by a site member, are raw. I have no problem with slabbing, especially for both protection and also the quality recognition of grade, etc.. The argument for and against I am sure will rage on and on. However it is a matter of personal choice. There are good and bad points to all ways of collecting.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I don't have an issue with slabbing. Although most of my coins are raw, at least 50 of them are slabbed. Neither do I have a problem with CGS or London Coins where I am a regular bidder/buyer.

My question is really one about market credibility. As a regular buyer at Heritage, I see NGC and PCGS all the time. I never see CGS. Neither do I see CGS at DNW or Spink where I also buy. It is only really at the London Coins auctions. So my question is how credible compared to the more established third party graders is CGS and how well are they accepted in the market place as a result?

I have bought CGS slabbed coins from Spink, St James, as well as DNW auctions. Quick search shows that DNW sold 50 CGS graded coins so far – so I do not think they are avoiding it as such, however, IMO most vendors prefer London Coins to sell slabbed coins (as they have in their books a lot of collectors who are keen on graded coins).

US market is, of course, very different - as collectors there are not familiar with CGS grading system (1-100).

13 minutes ago, mike said:

I have bought CGS slabbed coins from Spink, St James, as well as DNW auctions. Quick search shows that DNW sold 50 CGS graded coins so far – so I do not think they are avoiding it as such, however, IMO most vendors prefer London Coins to sell slabbed coins (as they have in their books a lot of collectors who are keen on graded coins).

US market is, of course, very different - as collectors there are not familiar with CGS grading system (1-100).

The way I see it, the UK market remains very much a 'raw' one whereas the US market is very much wedded to slabbed. London Coins are trying to create a market in the UK for slabbed coins through CGS but that market remains pretty limited to their own auctions. 

If I want to sell coins in the USA I really need to get them slabbed and the grade assigned is everything. There is often a significant price difference between an MS63 and an MS65 and these coins often sell at a premium to what we see in the UK. If I want to sell coins in the UK, 'raw' still works just as well. Maybe not at London Coins but certainly at Spink or DNW. 

Perhaps that will change over time. But I think that CGS have made a mistake by creating their own grading scale. They should have adopted the US one. That would have given their slabbed coins more credibility in the international market. I would not have my coins slabbed/graded by CGS because that would be too limiting.

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 1

On 23. prosince 2015 at 3:09 PM, SWANNY said:

25 minutes ago, jaggy said:

The way I see it, the UK market remains very much a 'raw' one whereas the US market is very much wedded to slabbed. London Coins are trying to create a market in the UK for slabbed coins through CGS but that market remains pretty limited to their own auctions. 

If I want to sell coins in the USA I really need to get them slabbed and the grade assigned is everything. There is often a significant price difference between an MS63 and an MS65 and these coins often sell at a premium to what we see in the UK. If I want to sell coins in the UK, 'raw' still works just as well. Maybe not at London Coins but certainly at Spink or DNW. 

Perhaps that will change over time. But I think that CGS have made a mistake by creating their own grading scale. They should have adopted the US one. That would have given their slabbed coins more credibility in the international market. I would not have my coins slabbed/graded by CGS because that would be too limiting.

I fully agree with you.

13 hours ago, secret santa said:

Why would anyone get their coins slabbed by CGS ? Lot 2792 in their last auction was slabbed by CGS  as 1855 P1509 PT when it's blindingly obvious that it's a P1508 Ornamental Trident (with far colon after DEF to confirm it) !!!!! If they get that wrong, what else ????????

I don't get my coins graded by any service but I've always thought that, with regards to attribution and counterfeit detection, PCGS and NGC are probably quite competent when it comes to American coins but should be taken with a grain of salt for anything else.

If CGS can't get their home market right then it's not a good look.

I am new to coin collecting, and have only had one coin slabbed. My mistake here was that I was not after a grade, but only to confirm the coin was not a fake.

I am waiting on a special camera that will allow me to take close up pictures of a coin, then I can write my next thread on the grading process

I am not out to write a hate thread about CGS , I just want CGS to answer my questions truthfully, 

Camera = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281479365170?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Where is that postman.........

On 12/25/2015 at 3:57 PM, secret santa said:

Thought i would reply as only my opinion.

I Have 213 pennies that are slabbed CGS/NGC/PCGS/ANACS.

I Have checked them before buying/slabbing and bought some slabbed already after checking the attribution.

I dont sell any and my collection will only surface in about 18 years i.e. i put them away and happy with the fact that they are not gathering dust.

Why would anyone do this.......well thats up to me and the 3K i have spent on slabbing means i have returned numerous coins that were not as sold .

This in some instances has upset the dealer but not being an expert happy with the independent opinion.

I am happy with the attribution of all of them............and the fact they appear problem free.

Two coins alone cost me £3K but got my money back as had problems.

I have numerous American slabs not attributed correctly ,a nice 1911 gouby X, an unc 1858 F/B ,1903 open 3 ,1841 Tail 8 etc.

Everyone to there own but your question was left wide open for an answer................Its up to me :P .

I am not an expert and like an independent opinion ... my mates think i am daft ....dont have any mates that collect coins....£13-25 a coin is not alot to spend.

Pete.

• Like 1