British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SWANNY

Set Wanted

I have been looking for this set, but it seems to be sold out !

2001 Victorian Centenary Collection 1901 - 2001

Where can I get one at the right price (one on Ebay for over £700)

Never heard of it to be honest.

24Carat might have one

24Carat advertise one , but they do not have stock, like a lot of coins their web site says they have in stock !

Buy proper coins SWANNEY.

Learn from us boys it is a FOC service.

That sets got two Sov's in it , surely that counts as proper coins !

If you like it and can get it at a good price (i.e. close to metal value), then enjoy owning it!

However, many people would not consider it to be a proper set as the coins were arbitrarily put together. The 1901 sovereign was never intended to be in a set when it was minted. The Royal Mint can put together almost an infinite number of such "sets" at anytime. E.g. the can put a QEII coin with a worn Victorian and a terrible condition Queen Anne in a box and call it the "Queens of England" set. Alternatively, they put a worn Edward VII with a worn George V in a box and call it "Kings with moustaches" set.

The two gold sovereigns are only ever going to be worth their gold value and the 1901's grade is below collectable standard to most people.

• Like 1

If you like it and can get it at a good price (i.e. close to metal value), then enjoy owning it!

That makes a lot of sense Sword................... :) .
"Kings with moustaches" set ................. :D

The thing about this set is the crown , its a frosted version that only 593 were made and only put in this set

I may have to skip this one

Frosted to fool you into paying £300 for it - you are just the customer the royal mint wants at this moment

When you collect a set of coins , you want one of each , may have to have a gap in my set

I'm not paying way over book price , lets see if one turns up at a coin auction

There is no right or wrong way to collect if the collector is happy with what they have. Personal preferences change and standards are adjusted, but it is entirely up to the individual. Otherwise, the habits of all collectors would be dictated by he who shouts loudest.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

"Kings with moustaches" set.

:D Well I've definitely got the makings of a "Monarchs with hats ( and a few pipes) set!

The thing about this set is the crown , its a frosted version that only 593 were made and only put in this set

I may have to skip this one

I'm sure you can find the crown on it's own elsewhere for far less than £300. This is what i'd call a kiddy on set which is obviously made up to get rid of low grade coins at OTT prices.

It just feels to me that, given the regular silver proof can be had for £25 or so, paying hundreds for this variant makes little sense. I'm not convinced that in five or ten years time there will be demand for it that will justify the difference in price.

However if you really do want one then auctions might be your best bet. London coins sold one for £70 ... a far more acceptable price than the £500 I've seen from places like this: http://thelondoncoincompany.com/2001-Victoria-Centenary-5-Five-Pound-Silver-Matt-Proof-Coin-PCGS-PR69

Edited by TomGoodheart

On 23/11/2015 at 0:02 AM, Sword said:

However, many people would not consider it to be a proper set as the coins were arbitrarily put together. The 1901 sovereign was never intended to be in a set when it was minted. The Royal Mint can put together almost an infinite number of such "sets" at anytime. E.g. the can put a QEII coin with a worn Victorian and a terrible condition Queen Anne in a box and call it the "Queens of England" set. Alternatively, they put a worn Edward VII with a worn George V in a box and call it "Kings with moustaches" set.

The two gold sovereigns are only ever going to be worth their gold value and the 1901's grade is below collectable standard to most people.

I guess I wasn't so far off. The latest offering from the Royal Mint is "Three crowns for three crowned kings". This set consists of a worn Edward VII crown, a rocking horse and a 1937 crown. They are also charging a King's ransom of £275. Only slightly less ridiculous than my "Kings with moustaches" suggestion :D

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_20th_Century_Kings_Silver_Three_Coin_Set

I got one on its own for an acceptable price (no gap this time)