British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick1697

1549 Edward VI Shilling Durham House Bow Unlisted Variety?

Hi I was wondering if anyone could identify this coin. It seems to ba a 1549 Edward VI Shilling from the Durham House Mint. The mintmark is a Bow. It looks to be a S 2465C but the legends seems to be transposed. Does anyone know what Spink catalogue number it fits under? It may be a E6SH-030 according to Coincrafts catalogue. Can anyone confirm this?

post-8889-0-08628500-1448018320_thumb.jp

Edited by Nick1697

S2472 with bust as 2466, Edward VI etc on the obverse and INIMICOS rev.

I dont think it can be the S2472 because it has TIMOR instead of INIMICOS on the reverse.

Also are the S2472 and S2472A supposed to have a date visible?. I understand that the S2470 doesn't have a date but does that translate to the S2472 and S2472A?

Ah. See what you mean.

Joe's article has obverse 5 with the EDWARD legend, so that ties in, although the bust looks larger on your coin, but I can't see anything for a Durham House reverse with TIMOR. Is the reverse mark definitely a bow? If not it could be a muled mark after the dies had transferred to the Tower/Southwark, wherever they went. Looking at what you can see of the shield garnishing, it looks more like a non Durham House style. Guarantee they will have been used somewhere given the financial constraints of the time.

I agree the shield doesnt look like the Durham House style. The only place that mentions TIMOR on the Reverse is E6SH-030 in Coincraft. Is there anyone who I could contact about this coin?

I guess the best thing would be to contact Coincraft. Joe Bispham is your man, but I don't have any contact details for him. They must have listed it on someone's recommendation, almost certainly Joe's given he wrote the BNJ article in 1985 and much has come to light in the past 30 years.

Yes good on you Rob, thanks for helping out. Very interesting.

cheers Garrett.

Did you dig this up Nick ?

No actually I am possibly looking to buy it, if I can identify it.