British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

terrysoldpennies

1903 open 3 variations

Hi . Richard, I see you have an 1903 open 3 up for sale on e.bay with the straight bottomed E. Having now looked at a few more of the type , I am of the opinion that the wavy type are less common, though none seem to show a very pronounced curving. But before you sell, you might take a look at the Die rotation, as I have found one with the correct alignment, and two with about a 15 degree anticlockwise rotation. Its a surprise to see two variations on such a rare penny. Anyone else who has one, please let us know. Terry

post-8880-0-61451500-1447106325_thumb.jp

Terry, or anyone, can you link to the open 3 on ebay? I'm surprised I haven't seen it from doing the dailies, unless I've skipped over it accidentally..

Thanks

Thanks Pete

Link (if anyone else wants it)

Hi . Richard, I see you have an 1903 open 3 up for sale on e.bay with the straight bottomed E. Having now looked at a few more of the type , I am of the opinion that the wavy type are less common, though none seem to show a very pronounced curving. But before you sell, you might take a look at the Die rotation, as I have found one with the correct alignment, and two with about a 15 degree anticlockwise rotation. Its a surprise to see two variations on such a rare penny. Anyone else who has one, please let us know. Terry

Mine appears to have straight bottomed E and normal die axis

Mine appears to have straight bottomed E and normal die axis

Terry, I've just checked that penny and it does seem to have the 15 degree axis rotation like you describe. I don't know whether to add that to the description. I'm not sure whether it makes it more interesting.

Richard

I have three and picked them up today as dont keep them in the UK and they are just normal.

That sounds daft .

The coins are in the UK but as i am in Spain most of the time they are kept at my daughters.

Lo Terry. The straight and wavy Es are new to me, are they documented anywhere please? Is it just the 1903 open 3 that can have the two types of E or can the closed 3 also have either?

I have a close 3 (open 9) that shows, what I am taking to be, a wavy E (attached). I also have an open 3 (closed 9) that I take is the straight bottomed E? I think my open 3 example displays the 15 degree anticlockwise rotation you mention. I'll attempt to picture separately. Cliff.

post-8769-0-63190100-1447176390_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-27835400-1447176435_thumb.jp

1903 open 3 pics showing straight bottomed E, Will to show 15 degree slant later.

post-8769-0-39877500-1447176702_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-78882900-1447176726_thumb.jp

post-509-0-10225600-1447177747_thumb.jpg

Here are two that I have. Both are normal axis, but the one on the right, which is slabbed, almost looks like it is a overdate of some kind.

Full views. Not the best example of the coin which isn't helped by my lack of photo skills! Can't swear to the accuracy of the tilt which is the result of a bit of fiddling and much swearing.

post-8769-0-61040700-1447177896_thumb.jp

post-8769-0-23302000-1447177922_thumb.jp

attachicon.gif1903 Open 3 Dates.jpg

Here are two that I have. Both are normal axis, but the one on the right, which is slabbed, almost looks like it is a overdate of some kind.

Yeah maybe its an early 1933.......Behave Bob.... LOL...... :o

• Like 1

attachicon.gif1903 Open 3 Dates.jpg

Yeah maybe its an early 1933.......Behave Bob.... LOL...... :o

I wish! Too funny Pete! :)

Bob you get some proper coins ,how about sending some back over here too the UK. :ph34r:

I just sent 5 Pennies to the Isle of Man yesterday...is that close enough? Ha,Ha!

Hope you have not overlooked us .

Big ex -formula 1 Driver penny collector in the isle of man and i cant financially compete with him.

He reads the forum and would be nice if he got involved.

Pete.

He is in jersey paul i think and as far as i am aware not into collecting pennies :)

Yes, he is now, but closely connected to the IOM of course ... well could be anyone then! Er, Emerson Fittipaldi!? If you are reading this Emerson, please say Hi :)

Edited by Paulus

he could always send us his signature as well

1032573.jpg

here is mine.

He is in jersey paul i think and as far as i am aware not into collecting pennies :)

Yes, he is now, but closely connected to the IOM of course ... well could be anyone then! Er, Emerson Fittipaldi!? If you are reading this Emerson, please say Hi :)

Interesting really,as someone like me who looks at this forum daily is always looking to learn.

sometimes i look about 9.30 in the evening and see about 40 logged on.

Would be nice if more people made a contribution with some comments.

So people reading this please post :) .

I dont know much but sure i could learn a lot more if you can please contribute.

Seen that one the other week scott,good find.

Pete.

When you have that many signed in I think it might be spyware piggy backing on a genuine viewer, as once there was 80-odd viewing, but remarkably only viewing a handful of topics. i.e. whatever the genuine person was looking at then the hanger on was doing the same, or more likely a few hangers on per viewer.

You will probably be right Rob and not finding faults the site allows me to learn.

I would just like more people to post thats all as i enjoy learning ,even about the hammered things :)

I have found 10 people who have made a post in the last 24 hours and does not seem many .

Everyone to there own and up to them.

I find the same in Facebook coin groups I belong to, fewer than 10% regularly contribute, more than 75% never seem to, but they are still well worth visiting regularly

If anyone is interested, there is

https://www.facebook.com/groups/englishhammeredandmilledcoins/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/562088370584093/

(British Pre-Decimal Coin Collectors Group £sd)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Englishmilledcoinage/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/352633061466108/?fref=ts

(English coins for sale and wanted)

and many others

Many are in need of more members to achieve 'critical mass'.

"English coins for sale and wanted" seems to have the most members (> 4,000) and the most activity, lots of discussions, sales and auctions, several pre-dec members on there too, including Chris. Way too much decimal content for me though.