British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

terrysoldpennies

1903 open 3 variations

Sorry I did'nt reply sooner , I've been out bowling this evening . In answer to you question Cliff , I read about it in an on line price guide a couple of years back, I cannot remember which. the Wavy and straight E,s can be found in closed 1903s, and in most years between 1897 and 1905. Pic. shows two 1900 pennies, with some degree of ware , and still seem to be clearly one or the other type , so the difference must be due to different dies, or ware to the dies Terry

post-8880-0-80499800-1447199949_thumb.jp

You see straight and indented bases on the lettering of veiled head silver too, so that suggests a slight change to the font used, or a change of manufacturer/engraver around this time.

You see straight and indented bases on the lettering of veiled head silver too, so that suggests a slight change to the font used, or a change of manufacturer/engraver around this time.

I'm no metallurgist, but I suspect either die degradation or metal flow rather than a font change

• Like 2

I'm no metallurgist, but I suspect either die degradation or metal flow rather than a font change

I don't think so. On the halfcrowns you get two obverses and two reverses. The obverses are different pointings to bead/spaces, but the reverses have different sized letters associated with the change in style, suggesting a slight change of font.

Bob you get some proper coins ,how about sending some back over here too the UK. :ph34r:

But you're in Spain :D

Edited by azda

Sorry I did'nt reply sooner , I've been out bowling this evening . In answer to you question Cliff , I read about it in an on line price guide a couple of years back, I cannot remember which. the Wavy and straight E,s can be found in closed 1903s, and in most years between 1897 and 1905. Pic. shows two 1900 pennies, with some degree of ware , and still seem to be clearly one or the other type , so the difference must be due to different dies, or ware to the dies Terry

Thanks for the response Terry. I'd obviously misunderstood and had somehow got it that these wavy/straight Es were specific to the 1903 Pennies! Cliff

Looking at your two pennies I would have said worn die as looking at the other letters they are all flat or all wavy.

dont forget the small/large rose on the shilling

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the right place to post this - I don't usually do the variations but I have had this in my Penny albumas an Open 3 1903 for years. Am I right? Of the various variations on a variation listed here, which is it? :-)

1903 open 1.jpg

1903 open 2.jpg

Looks like an open 3 to me, nice spot Paddy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Looks like an open 3 to me, nice spot Paddy!

That is definitely a open 3! :)

• Like 1