British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

1874H - Freeman 76 wanted

Whilst I'm well aware of the extreme rarity of this type, I'm also happy to accept pretty much any grade so long as details are present. So if anybody knows of one, and isn't interested thenselves, maybe they could kindly let me know.

I'm trying to assemble a complete set of the 1874 varieties, and am short of just Freeman 74, 76, 77 & 78. But right now, it's the 76 I want.

Got the other rare one, the 69. It's actually good fine, but has been ruined by someone polishing it in the dim and distant past. It's largely retoned, but you never get rid of that tell tale awful sheen. Pity, but beggars can't be choosers, of course.

Whilst I'm well aware of the extreme rarity of this type, I'm also happy to accept pretty much any grade so long as details are present. So if anybody knows of one, and isn't interested thenselves, maybe they could kindly let me know.

I'm trying to assemble a complete set of the 1874 varieties, and am short of just Freeman 74, 76, 77 & 78. But right now, it's the 76 I want.

Got the other rare one, the 69. It's actually good fine, but has been ruined by someone polishing it in the dim and distant past. It's largely retoned, but you never get rid of that tell tale awful sheen. Pity, but beggars can't be choosers, of course.

I thought I might have one for you Michael, but it has the sea showing on both sides, so I guess it isn't the F69.... :)

Edited by RLC35

I thought I might have one for you Michael, but it has the sea showing on both sides, so I guess it isn't the F69.... :)

Hi Bob, Thanks for looking anyway. Much appreciated B)

If I could get one, even in modest condition like this example I'd be very happy.

The picture you put up would be a really good one they are rare as you will know.

Good luck.

The picture you put up would be a really good one they are rare as you will know.

Good luck.

Thanks - I know. That particular one went for £450 in March 2014. Considering the rarity, it was a steal.

If I could get one, even in modest condition like this example I'd be very happy.

I just saw one in Ingram's coin list that just came out. It is a little green...hard to see the sea levels without it being in hand.

I just saw one in Ingram's coin list that just came out. It is a little green...hard to see the sea levels without it being in hand.

He's got a couple of F69's, but I couldn't see a F76.

You are right...I was looking at the wrong Freeman #.......

You are right...I was looking at the wrong Freeman #.......

Incidentally, Bob, you are right about Ingram's F69. The green you referred to looks like verdigris, or might be otherwise water damaged. But it's sub standard photography in any event. Surely they can do better than that.

Shame that F69 it would of been a good one,looks like its been dug up to me.

• Like 1

I got mine from a forum member and I wanted the other that he had for sale and he mentioned Pete wanted it. So I guess Pete has the other for the bloke had 3 in total and he kept 1 for himself. One also sold in the recent Spink sale. It was in fair grade and went for around £850 with buyer's premium.

I am made to believe there are fewer than 10 of this type around so it must be a very rare coin. London coins seem to have sold more 1861 6 over 8s than the F76. Good luck with your hunt.

Edited by jacinbox

I got mine from a forum member and I wanted the other that he had for sale and he mentioned Pete wanted it. So I guess Pete has the other for the bloke had 3 in total and he kept 1 for himself. One also sold in the recent Spink sale. It was in fair grade and went for around £850 with buyer's premium.

I am made to believe there are fewer than 10 of this type around so it must be a very rare coin. London coins seem to have sold more 1861 6 over 8s than the F76. Good luck with your hunt.

I saw the Spink one, which wasn't as good as the one I linked to above. That went for roughly half the price. I'm not personally convinced there's fewer than 10, but there's no doubt they are still extremely rare.#

Thanks for the best wishes :)

Got one !!! 

Off e bay. I don't think the vendor realised what it was, and only a couple of other bidders did. But won anyway.

As is usual with these types, it's not in brilliant condition, but the rarity dictates that beggars can't be choosers 

Freeman 76 penny

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hat off and glad you found one Mike :)

Cheers Pete :)

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Got one !!! 

Off e bay. I don't think the vendor realised what it was, and only a couple of other bidders did. But won anyway.

As is usual with these types, it's not in brilliant condition, but the rarity dictates that beggars can't be choosers 

Freeman 76 penny

Well done Mike. What are the indicators on this one? I bet if the seller didn't know what he had he nearly fell over when he saw what it made. :D

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Well done Mike. What are the indicators on this one? I bet if the seller didn't know what he had he nearly fell over when he saw what it made. :D

Thanks Jon. Basically the indicators are the taller helmet plume on Britannia and the unique lighthouse. It's a bit like the one on reverse H, position wise, but slightly thicker and with no rock to the left of it.  

• Like 1

Good spot - rare coin. For me the indicator is the wide date with the sea not crossing the linear circle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Just going back to the emboldened part of your post, Jon, I did feel honour bound to point out to the seller that he had perhaps unwittingly offloaded a very rare coin, and I received this very gracious reply from him:-

"Hi Michael, Thanks for your message, I am very pleased that you're happy with the coin. I have limited knowledge, with the help of the Spink catalogue, but adopt the attitude that what I place on e bay will find its own value!

To bring a smile I might add that the coin was one I saved in my younger days, long before decimalisation, by buying a 10 shillings or £1 bag from the bank. sifting out what we always called bun pennies, then replacing with a 'modern' penny before before repeating the process. So I guess I must have made several thousand per cent profit on the deal, albeit over a very long period of investment!

Genuinely, I have no regrets whatsoever that it might have made more, I am more than pleased that it has gone to a good home" Regards, John W"      

Edited by 1949threepence
quote tags omitted
  • Like 7

I think that's really good of you both. :)

• Like 1

Well done. I watched that too, thinking it might be reverse I. But in the end, decided I wasnt sure. My loss, your gain, as it is one I need, the only other 1874 being F77.  A guy at the Midland fair had a couple of F77 in fine-ish,  correctly id'd at a ton and a half. Too much I think, to fill the gap. 

Jerry

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jelida said:

Well done. I watched that too, thinking it might be reverse I. But in the end, decided I wasnt sure. My loss, your gain, as it is one I need, the only other 1874 being F77.  A guy at the Midland fair had a couple of F77 in fine-ish,  correctly id'd at a ton and a half. Too much I think, to fill the gap. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry - I went through that process of examining it numerous times, as I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.  

As far as the F77, I bid £60 for the one at the March LCA, which eventually went for £65. I wish I'd bid a lot more more. It was described as fine, but was nearer VF and totally problem free.

£150 for a decent fine F77, I'd go for.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks Jerry - I went through that process of examining it numerous times, as I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing.  

As far as the F77, I bid £60 for the one at the March LCA, which eventually went for £65. I wish I'd bid a lot more more. It was described as fine, but was nearer VF and totally problem free.

£150 for a decent fine F77, I'd go for.

Perhaps I should re-consider,  I'll look at them again, though the dealer isn't there every month. Perhaps he'll do a deal on two!

Jerry

Sign in to follow this