British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

Here is a quick pic taken with my phone.

No Blocked 2 .jpg

Yeah same coin, what a shame :( Big gash to the left of the second N in PENNY

Looks like he had gunk on his camera which blocked out the tooth, and the crud in the 2 made it look filled in the first pictures, I assume.

• Like 1

Gutted, but was less than £2 so not a problem in that sense!

Always worth a gamble for things like that, would've been the first clogged 2 of that year.

• Like 1

Here is that hollowed out Victoria half penny. Its got more detail than can be seen. shame really!

Victorian hollowed halfpenny.jpg

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 1

Turns out I had a 1932 with filled in 2 all along! Not quite as dramatic but definately filled.

1932 filled in 2.jpg

What're the odds :D I'll be stealing a screenshot if you don't mind?

Will do some decent close-ups and microscope shots Matt. This was quick with my phone. Cheers Brian

• Like 1

Thanks Brian and good spot!

• Like 1

I'm still looking for filled 5 1915 penny, but I have 1915 with this cud on the 9 with a die crack

BP%201915%20AA%201.jpg

I find the 1915 filled 5 quite a difficult one to get an example of. That one you've posted David was definitely on its last legs, another die crack at 7 o'clock and the teeth around the bottom are almost resembling beads they're that clogged up!

• Like 1

Jerry , its as you say about the 1915 clogged 5. I bought one four years back for £15, and at the time I thought, have I paid to much , but I haven't seen another for sale since   Terry

• Like 1

I am still looking for the blocked "2" 1922 penny. Hadn't realised there was a blocked "5" 1915. Will have to dive into the penny bags and see if I can be lucky ??. Think this maybe a nice side collection.

Here's a picture of one for comparison. Might be a big photo I can't get it smaller on the iPad..

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 1:12 PM, mrbadexample said:

I've had a couple of these too - 1920 and 1913. I've just been to look for them and they're not where I thought they were so I'm not sure what I've done with them. Mind you, my overspill pile needs a bit of sorting. :rolleyes:

Found 'em. :)

1920:

1920 lamination.jpg

• Like 1

And 1913 (would this not pre-date the theory that brass shell casings were added to the mix?): 

1913 lamination.jpg

• Like 1

Think it's some kind of lamination error Terry. Was discussed on about page 4 of this thread but it took me a while to find mine.

I'm not after buying this, but wondered what you lot thought of this penny? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1860-PENNY-MANY-OF-THE-LETTERS-WEAK-OR-MISSING-PARTS-BRITISH-COIN-VICTORIA-/361451067530

I'd want a nice one, if it was me. :)

If we are showing really ugly pennies, thoughts on this one. A 1919 KN with severe dandruff, flakes have fallen off both sides, some patches showing lustre. Some have suggested fire damage, but I'm more inclined to think severe lamination problems

BP%201919%20L%201.jpg

Whatever the history, it's a shame - would have been a decent grade for a 1919 KN otherwise

Edited by davidrj

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I'm not after buying this, but wondered what you lot thought of this penny? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1860-PENNY-MANY-OF-THE-LETTERS-WEAK-OR-MISSING-PARTS-BRITISH-COIN-VICTORIA-/361451067530

I'd want a nice one, if it was me. :)

Just a die on its last legs, some huge die cracks going on too. A nice example of a dying die (see what I did there :P) but not worth forking out £400 for one!

30 minutes ago, davidrj said:

If we are showing really ugly pennies, thoughts on this one. A 1919 KN with severe dandruff, flakes have fallen off both sides, some patches showing lustre. Some have suggested fire damage, but I'm more inclined to think severe lamination problems

Not sure what to make of that one David, I don't think I've seen a fire damaged coin before but you'd think it would blacken? Does the white gunk on it come off if you rub it?

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Not sure what to make of that one David, I don't think I've seen a fire damaged coin before but you'd think it would blacken? Does the white gunk on it come off if you rub it?

The white gunk is actually shiny bronze

1919%20kn%20detail.jpg

I'm not sure TBH, I would go with some sort of corrosion though as it's over the whole coin.

• Like 1