British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

Could be a end of life die then, is that line going across it raised?

No its crackled and and mostly indented. Very uneven. Will get some micro close-ups and pop them on a bit later.

I bought this because I liked the die clash. Obvious on the obverse, particularly prominent between the neck and the ribbon. These are the seller's pictures. Having the coin in hand and a loupe, on the reverse leading up from Britannia's knee I can see (not visible on the photos, sorry) the whole of Victoria's profile. It's clashtastic. :)

1862 1d obv.jpg

• Like 2

1862 1d rev.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:
25 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

1862 1d rev.jpg

From Pennycrowncoins MBE? (a member on here ;))

Edited by Paulus

15 minutes ago, Paulus said:

From Pennycrowncoins MBE? (a member on here ;)

Well spotted. :)

Nice die clash :) crow's foot, I think it's 'unofficially' called.

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Nice die clash :) crow's foot, I think it's 'unofficially' called.

I think they are just spikes, This is the one I have always understood to be the crows foot , found on an 1918 kn  Terry

wide K N type with birds foot  2.JPG

7 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I think they are just spikes, This is the one I have always understood to be the crows foot , found on an 1918 kn  Terry

Right you are Terry, mixing up my die clashes here.

This is about the best I can get of the reverse.

1862 1d rev2.jpg

Thought this might interest someone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Thought this might interest someone?

That's an interesting one. Sometimes it's difficult at first glance to decide whether the mark is a minting flaw, or some later post mint, circulation trauma.   

I'd go for a minting flaw. A defective flan with lamination will transfer the design to the layer below the lamination break, so you would still see some semblance of what it should be like, even with the missing top skin.

• Like 1

I bought this Thanks. Will add to my error collection. Nice cheap addition.;)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I thought someone might for the price, and I'm pleased you've had it Brian. :) I nearly did myself, but not really my thing.

I thought the same as Rob, although in my head it went more like: "It's not post mint, you can still see his lug'ole." :D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I thought someone might for the price, and I'm pleased you've had it Brian. :) I nearly did myself, but not really my thing.

I thought the same as Rob, although in my head it went more like: "It's not post mint, you can still see his lug'ole." :D

Yes, I thought the same. You can still see his lug 'ole, which would probably have gone in a post mint accident. 

8 hours ago, bhx7 said:

Quick off the draw Brian! Nice lamination flaw for cheap, can't go wrong ;) 

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea. I like it. A 1980 decimal penny 90 degree die rotation error. Sorry about the rubbish photo, but does show the error.

15259602_10154644046706877_1203016248945454526_o.jpg

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 2

The photo is spot on Brian and well spotted.

Not sure about the shirt though :P

• Like 2

While doing a survey on decimal pennies I came across this curio. I found  4 identical  at a ratio of about 1 in 30 of the 2007 type 1 portcullis variants. 

I think it looks like a chip in the die but would be interested in everyone else's take on it. Obviously as I have found 4 it is quantifiable as a variety but how would it be best to describe it.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks Brian

received_10154654889016877.jpeg

Edited by bhx7

On 7/12/2016 at 6:07 PM, bhx7 said:

While doing a survey on decimal pennies I came across this curio. I found  4 identical  at a ratio of about 1 in 30 of the 2007 type 1 portcullis variants. 

I think it looks like a chip in the die but would be interested in everyone else's take on it. Obviously as I have found 4 it is quantifiable as a variety but how would it be best to describe it.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks Brian

I'd agree with you there Brian, that it's a chip in the die. I wouldn't necessarily class it a variety in the sense of a design change, but as a curio that one can look out for, as you said.

Hi Guys, I know there is starting to get a pattern here with these decimal pennies but found another interesting
anomaly. This looks to me like an extra link next to the "1" of this 1994 penny. May just be a fault but interesting. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

1994 with extra link on rev 2.jpg

Edited by bhx7

I have seen similar before on farthings, and assume it must be when clog falls out of the die and gets struck back into the face of a die? Not that easy to understand given the fact that the clog should be a soft material being forced against a die.

I bought a farthing from Rob P a while back where the same occurs with a 1 in the date which is completely out of place and almost looks as if it fell back on to the next blank planchet and then got pressed into the die.

Would welcome other views on this phenomenon....I will see if I can dig out some pics of mine.

2 hours ago, Colin G. said:

I have seen similar before on farthings, and assume it must be when clog falls out of the die and gets struck back into the face of a die? Not that easy to understand given the fact that the clog should be a soft material being forced against a die.

I bought a farthing from Rob P a while back where the same occurs with a 1 in the date which is completely out of place and almost looks as if it fell back on to the next blank planchet and then got pressed into the die.

Would welcome other views on this phenomenon....I will see if I can dig out some pics of mine.

Where is your bloody book?

I know...I know...I hang my head in shame :ph34r:

• Like 1