British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

9 hours ago, davidrj said:

here's what he wrote

1915%20penny.jpg

mine appears to be the barred 5 he describes.

It's the 1920 filled 2 that he shows 3 stages of fill for, he also lists a filled 2 for 1921 but no illustration

From Gouby,s  siteBP1915Afill.gifBP1915Apartfill.gif       Terry

This one's different again......

1915filled1.JPG

• Like 2

Interesting. Looks like we have a clear progression of die damage in our combined examples

And my 1920 for comparison with other previously illustrated.

1920filled1.JPG

• Like 1

Came across this nice unusual error. Nothing exceptional but different. 1962 Penny

wwwwww.jpg

WP_20160410_008.jpg

• Like 2

Another couple of shots from different angles..

WP_20160410_017 b.jpg

WP_20160410_031 b.jpg

WP_20160410_028 b.jpg

I don't think we can put this down to recycled shell casings. Just very poor quality control of blanks - there are lamination flaws congruent with the brassy streaks on this 1936 penny

BP%201936%20Ab%201.jpg

• Like 2

Any thoughts on this double florin?

188 double florin.jpg

Well, that's a start Paul. I didn't realise that all the other years had Arabic 1s. There is a bit of damage close to where the 7 should be: do you think this is post mint?

188 double florin (2).jpg

Yep post mint

I wish I knew how you were so sure. I'm not disputing it, but the numeral seems quite cleanly removed. Notwithstanding the damage, which to me doesn't seem to be entirely in the right place for a missing 7. What can you two see that I can't?

You gave the answer. There is damage around where the 7 should be. Any coin struck from a die with only 18 8 would have perfectly smooth fields at that point because the number wouldn't have been punched in. It is also highly unlikely that such a coin would have entered circulation, not impossible, but very unlikely. You would expect it to be EF or better, or alternatively lower grade in appearance on account of having been lightly struck, not from wear.

• Like 1

Not as pronounced as on other dates discussed previously, but here's a 1931 penny with missing waves

BP%201931%20AA%201.jpg

Can we now stop calling "missing waves" as true varieties and recognise them as simple die fills in area of the design most likely to act as a pinch point for any excess gease to collect.

Agreed, however tell that to whoever bought the 1934 from the Workman collection for £500 :o 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2016 at 7:49 PM, Nordle11 said:

Agreed, however tell that to whoever bought the 1934 from the Workman collection for £500 :o 

I was watching this one, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162079854220?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT went for £205

2 hours ago, davidrj said:

I was the underbidder :D

It was at 50 when I put 200 down, I figured it would get up to 100 odd which isn't all that bad considering it was actually a very nice 1934 in itself, and added an extra 100 because of the missing waves. I did wonder if someone on here nabbed it.

No I suppose not, although they stopped me from winning it so they got what they deserved :ph34r: löl

• Like 1

This thread reminds me actually I picked up a nice filled 2 on a 1920, I'll grab some pictures when I can. The filled part is actually higher than the digit.

• Like 1

I know you have been looking for one for a while. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

A 1922 penny with both twos filled

BP%201922%20AA%201.jpg

• Like 2

On 12.6.2016 at 5:26 PM, davidrj said:

A 1922 penny with both twos filled

Nice! I missed that post, good find.

Here's the filled 1920 I was on about. Not a bad grade either.

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

• Like 1

Another penny on a streaky flan with congruent lamination flaws, this time a scarce BP1879Cb F98

BP%201879%20Cb%202.jpg