British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

Blimey, that's not pretty is it? :o

David,

Here is another ugly one! This coin (1875-H Penny) had to be uncirculated when it was lost out of someone's pocket! 

IMG_7659 (640x480).jpg

IMG_7660 (640x480).jpg

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Just a die on its last legs, some huge die cracks going on too. A nice example of a dying die (see what I did there :P) but not worth forking out £400 for one!

But if it was just the bottom leg of the E missing, then you would fork out 400. People ask 'silly prices', whatever that means, because there are people willing to pay extra for something abnormal. Every dog has its day.

You used to be able to pick up an 1839 proof set for £10-15. Today you might have to pay £180K because the market has lapped them up. Take the 1 off the front and reduce it some more and we will be approaching a realistic price based on rarity/desirability.

On 2/22/2016 at 6:45 PM, RLC35 said:

David,

Here is another ugly one! This coin (1875-H Penny) had to be uncirculated when it was lost out of someone's pocket! 

IMG_7659 (640x480).jpg

IMG_7660 (640x480).jpg

What a shame. I wonder what happened to it, Bob.

6 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What a shame. I wonder what happened to it, Bob.

I would say it was a detecting find, except that the un-etched areas are too nice to have been under the earth. It must have somehow been unknowingly exposed to moisture, or some chemical while being stored.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

I would say it was a detecting find, except that the un-etched areas are too nice to have been under the earth. It must have somehow been unknowingly exposed to moisture, or some chemical while being stored.

Yes, although, to me, it does look rather more like chemical corrosion, as opposed to water damage. Certainly not blunt trauma. 

• Like 1

Get ready for your eyes to hurt.

1.png.55ee345fcd6e2bb9f8d676517dd322c1.p

• Like 1

I like that one Matt. Where did you dig that one up from?

Was listed on eBay this morning. After a bit of negotiating it should be on it's way to me tomorrow :) 

• Like 1

Thats quality :D

Not my thing but i would of bought that..........infact Matt think you should sell it me .

• Like 1

Mine all mine :P

Although I have to look at it with one eye closed or my head starts to spin haha

Bog standard

46 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Mine all mine :P

Although I have to look at it with one eye closed or my head starts to spin haha

Dont get greedy or you will be.......Joining the caravan.........:D

• Like 1

:lol:

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Was listed on eBay this morning. After a bit of negotiating it should be on it's way to me tomorrow :) 

Great buy! Was out this morning so never saw any of the new listings! Great addition to your error collection ?

• Like 1

Another ugly one, but only 99p - finally got a filled 5 1915 penny

BP%201915%20AB%201.jpg

David

• Like 2

That's a good example David, shame about the coin's state. I'm still on the lookout. The blocked 5 and a half decent recessed ear are on the list for this year.

6 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Another ugly one, but only 99p - finally got a filled 5 1915 penny

BP%201915%20AB%201.jpg

David

Much rarer than people think , with my one yours is only the third one I have ever seen  Terry

5 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Much rarer than people think , with my one yours is only the third one I have ever seen  Terry

There's a couple of different shots in the VR Court survey as far as I can remember, in different transitions of clogging.

yes I think your right , but the ones I've seen were the complete blockage , so probably the more common   Terry

7 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

There's a couple of different shots in the VR Court survey as far as I can remember, in different transitions of clogging.

here's what he wrote

1915%20penny.jpg

mine appears to be the barred 5 he describes.

It's the 1920 filled 2 that he shows 3 stages of fill for, he also lists a filled 2 for 1921 but no illustration

Edited by davidrj

Thanks, I'm mixing up the dates then.

Also there's a filled 2 for 1932 as per Brian's coin, I think it's also in this thread.