British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

That's a good point also Nuts.

I also noticed that Peck mentions the same theory of brass shells at the start of his write up as well.

41 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

Looks uni-directional which to me would suggest it is part of the rolling process of the blanks or possibly some post strike treatment, but strange that it appears to be predominantly on one face only.

Ian..

I agree, this is a much later product of the Royal Mint

Km.%202%202%20Cents%201957.jpg

But I've seen similar on French 10 centimes and other bronze coins. When it occurs on US cents, they are referred to as woodies for wood grained toning

Not over the top for a scarcer date.

I can understand streaky lustre on some dates and the fact this has it on both sides.

It was more just showing on one side so much on the previous posts that seemed strange.

They are not the best looking coins.

No I wouldn't pay a lot for one, so not fussed in having one in high grade. There's also some sort of oil slick on the O in ONE.

If I'm honest I prefer the colour on the one I just bought to this higher grade one. It only cost me £1.45.

• Like 1

When the "stripes" appear on both faces, do the stripes run in the same direction? 

47 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

When the "stripes" appear on both faces, do the stripes run in the same direction? 

Yes I believe they do, the eBay listing I put up earlier has the streaks running in the same direction.

18 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

18 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Yes I believe they do, the eBay listing I put up earlier has the streaks running in the same direction.

A clear stripe on this 1904 penny

BP%201904%20Ab%201.jpg

On 1/25/2016 at 8:44 PM, bhx7 said:

Here are a few more examples from 1919 and 1921. One of the 1919 seem to have some of both sides.

I originally thought someone had tried to colour these but sure they are part of the same defect. Not quite as bitty more streaking!

Tortoise Shell pennies.jpg

I've had a couple of these too - 1920 and 1913. I've just been to look for them and they're not where I thought they were so I'm not sure what I've done with them. Mind you, my overspill pile needs a bit of sorting. :rolleyes:

A similar one from 1918. I still can't find the others. :(

DSCF7293.JPG

1918 1d_0001.jpg

1918 1d_0002.jpg

Edited by mrbadexample

One for you, Nordle?

Decimal 1p error(2).jpg

Decimal 1p error(2)(a).jpg

• Like 2

This 1994 penny appears to be corroding from the inside. Not sure what might have caused it but I've dug up better than this:

Decimal 1p error.jpg

Decimal 1p error (a).jpg

A photo as the scan doesn't show it very well:

Decimal 1p error (b).jpg

Can anyone tell me what's happened to this?

Decimal 20p error.jpg

If the part at the bottom is raised, it's a cud, otherwise possibly a lamination error.

I have absolutely no idea what happened to that 1 penny though, I can only guess at a lamination error. if it's genuine that is a stonker. Love the square parts on the obverse!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

One for you, Nordle?

Decimal 1p error(2).jpg

Decimal 1p error(2)(a).jpg

like this one, ALOT!!!!!

Here is one I recently bought. Again decimal but a nice error, at least I think so.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(4).jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

If the part at the bottom is raised, it's a cud, otherwise possibly a lamination error.

Yes, it's raised. Looks like a blob of solder. I've not heard the term "cud" before (cows notwithstanding), is it common? How does it happen?

8 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I have absolutely no idea what happened to that 1 penny though, if it's genuine that is a stonker. Love the square parts on the obverse!

I believe it to be genuine - I pulled it out of my change. Do I need to open the bidding? :lol:

Just now, mrbadexample said:

Yes, it's raised. Looks like a blob of solder. I've not heard the term "cud" before (cows notwithstanding), is it common? How does it happen?

Yes definitely a cud then, it's pretty common and can affect any coin. It's when part of the die breaks away and the metal flows directly into it when a coin gets struck. Usually on the rim of the die, otherwise it would normally be called a die chip.

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I believe it to be genuine - I pulled it out of my change. Do I need to open the bidding? :lol:

Not for me I'm afraid, wrong type of penny :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I know I wouldn't mind this in my collection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

Yes definitely a cud then, it's pretty common and can affect any coin. It's when part of the die breaks away and the metal flows directly into it when a coin gets struck. Usually on the rim of the die, otherwise it would normally be called a die chip.

Thanks. Is bhx7's 2p another example of a cud?

5 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I know I wouldn't mind this in my collection.

Hang on, I need two people interested to drive the price up, and Nordle's declared out. Anyone else? :D

19 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Thanks. Is bhx7's 2p another example of a cud?

Indeed it is.

• Like 2