British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

P.s I would say the 1880 was the result of the Mint Re engraving the narrow date die rather than an error, though the filing of the old 8 digit must have started to come away. Curios that they re cut the die at all Terry

Here's the clogged N I found, no where near as severe as yours but clearly beginning to get bunged up..

post-8244-0-25093700-1447951780_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

Actually, now I'm re-checking it and others online, I think that the missing chunk nearer the top of the serif is making it look like the lower part is thicker.

Maybe you do have something there Terry!

It do's look like it is the same type in the first stage of breakdown, we'll have to keep looking for others at differing stages of deterioration Terry

I'll certainly keep an eye out while I'm doing my dailies and I'll let you know if there is anything of interest

I have a 1920 penny here with an apostrophe between the I and D in FID, and it looks like the die cracked to a tooth as a result of the flaw.

post-8244-0-89912300-1447965883_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-10001200-1447965885_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-00935600-1447965886_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-86980000-1447965886_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I've checked 50+ others and can't find it, let me know if you have one with this flaw

I have a 1920 penny here with an apostrophe between the I and D in FID, and it looks like the die cracked to a tooth as a result of the flaw.

I just went through 25 of them, but didn't find any with that die crack. :)

• Like 1

It do's look like it is the same type in the first stage of breakdown, we'll have to keep looking for others at differing stages of deterioration Terry

Strangely enough I've found one with the V starting to fill in before the N! Here's the V, and the N is as is.

post-8244-0-79086600-1448873707_thumb.jp

I need a second opinion please. Does this look like a striking error/strike through or just damage? Theres also the nick at 3 o'clock going through the legend.

post-8244-0-89256500-1448958870_thumb.jp

I need a second opinion please. Does this look like a striking error/strike through or just damage? Theres also the nick at 3 o'clock going through the legend.

Nordle,

What year is the coin you show with the mark on the shoulder? I saw one like that in some coins I put away the other day, but I don't remember what date it was! :)

It's an 1892 Bob, it would be extremely interesting if you had an example with the same flaw!

It's an 1892 Bob, it would be extremely interesting if you had an example with the same flaw!

I don't have a 1892 like that! If I ever find it again, I will pull it out. :)

Hi. Matt . It's on the common Double exergue . I've Had this penny forever, and have never seen another , even like yours with the single error. Could you post the Pic. Terry

Terry, I spotted this while on ebay, this one has the beginnings of a die clog on the V but not yet on the N. It's a 1940 double exergue.

post-8244-0-39990000-1449952451_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-77520500-1449952465_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-32333500-1449952466_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

We were talking elsewhere on the forum about die flaws and progression. So as I was going through a few of my copper half pennies that i have been picking up lately I noticed these 2 which both seem to have the same die crack. My question is which came first. Did the major die crack appear first and get mended leaving only the slightest one behind or is it more likely that the minor one was the start and the major crack came later.

It also nice to notice that the 2 last "8" in the date are done over other things. One is clearly a 6 the other I am not so sure about as there seems to be a tail coming out from the lower circle of the 8.

post-8845-0-54512700-1450041870_thumb.jp

post-8845-0-78221300-1450041895_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sorry for the terrible grammar. I tried to go back and edit but was once again told I did not have permission to do so!!!!!

They are from different dies, so any coincidental agreement between the flaws is just that. The unclear one might be a 6 too given the trace of top loop, but I'm not totally convinced given the lack of LHS for a 6. The initial reaction was an underlying 7, but the angle is very badly aligned if this is the case. Again, not convincing.

Hi Rob, agree after looking at the die cracks full size on screen. Very strange that both flaws are found in exactly the same place though!! Bar the thicker flaw coming from the rim the underlying follows almost exactly the some route.

Will try and get a good photo of the 8 close up.

this is it going through a magnifying glass and a macro lens my phone. Looks totally different. No idea what happened before!!!!

post-8845-0-69914400-1450056102_thumb.jp

this is it going through a magnifying glass and a macro lens my phone. Looks totally different. No idea what happened before!!!!

It looks like the 8 might have been punched to high originally, and then re-punched lower, to make it in alignment with the other characters.....

It looks like the 8 might have been punched to high originally, and then re-punched lower, to make it in alignment with the other characters.....

Go with that

So possibly an 8 over 8, nice thanks Bob and Rob, totally appreciate it.

Going back to the die crack on both coins. I still find it peculiar that the flaw is in the same place running along the bottom of the letters, starting and stopping at the same place! Possibly shows an inherent weakness in that area of the design.

You have punched letters or numbers into the die. This produces an inherent weakness at the junction with untouched metal because you have effectively disrupted the stable lattice structure. This will allow accelerated flaw development or chemical attack along the stress lines. You often see thin line flaws along the bases or tops of punched in characters.

Thanks for that Rob.