British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

Post mint! I have a couple of those. Not exactly sure how it's done though.

REDD - love that brockage, looks great. I sold mine last year and regret it, but I paid £100 on eBay and sold it to someone in Japan for £350, I couldn't say no at the time. It did get me a few extra dates in my date run though!

Ah well, I'll put it with all my other post mint altered coins! :D

Just found another error penny. This time in a bag of odds and ends GB predecimal pennies I bid and won at the Tyneside NS yesterday.

I also found a couple of fine- VF 1915 recessed ears so not a bad buy. Anyway, could some one enlighten me on what this error would be called. Thanks

post-8845-0-75523800-1447351950_thumb.jp

Well done Brian and glad your still enjoying collecting and the 1915 recessed were good finds.

As you know i am not really into errors but sure someone will help you.

I would call it "Throw it in the bin" .

Be lucky.

Pete.

• Like 2

Split planet

This is the most extreme version that I know of...

I'm on my cell phone and don't see where to post a link

Help someone. .. thanks

www.brokencc.com

I can't believe it was actually graded and slabbed :)

Gary when you want to add an upload from your phone you must use the full version of the forum. If you scroll right to the bottom of the topic in which you wish to upload you have a full version button, but you may need to login again when doing so, you can also expand the pictures on the site from that version

Well done Brian and glad your still enjoying collecting and the 1915 recessed were good finds.

As you know i am not really into errors but sure someone will help you.

I would call it "Throw it in the bin" .

Be lucky.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Yes still about and hoping to be for a long time. Really enjoying the hobby and enjoying exploring all avenues of collecting. Got inspired a bit by Nordle's error collection so just seeing what I have and putting them to one side.

Also a possibly cheap side collection for when I have got the cash to get the coins I am sourcing for the main collection. It has also made me look closer at coins which can only be a good thing.

Cheers

Brian

Why can't I edit anything I have written????? The above should read .......when I haven't got the cash........

Edited by bhx7

Why can't I edit anything I have written????? The above should read .......when I haven't got the cash........

I'm not sure what triggers it (an Admin like Tom Goodheart (Richard) will know), but I think you can edit once you have made a certain no. of posts (100?), and then for a number of minutes (?) after you have posted

• Like 1

If its because you have no cash............join the club :D

• Like 1

Just found another error penny. This time in a bag of odds and ends GB predecimal pennies I bid and won at the Tyneside NS yesterday.

I also found a couple of fine- VF 1915 recessed ears so not a bad buy. Anyway, could some one enlighten me on what this error would be called. Thanks

Was this in your £2.10p bag or that really expensive £4 lot you bought? :)

Glad you found something of interest in the lots.

Ian..

• Like 1

Cheers Ian, now everyone thinks I'm a cheapskate, wait, I am ??. The two 1915's were in the £4 bag and the error coin in the expensive bag ?. Also managed to get almost a full run of decimal halfpennies bar 3.

The meeting was great and enjoyed the auction and the banter.

Cheers Brian

Cheers Ian, now everyone thinks I'm a cheapskate, wait, I am . The two 1915's were in the £4 bag and the error coin in the expensive bag . Also managed to get almost a full run of decimal halfpennies bar 3.

The meeting was great and enjoyed the auction and the banter.

Cheers Brian

72 & 84 half pennies were only available in proof, I doubt Richie let those slip into his auction lot :ph34r: but you never know whats lurking in those mixed bags.

• Like 1

Anyway, could some one enlighten me on what this error would be called.

Looks like it was struck through a lamination.

Anyway, could some one enlighten me on what this error would be called.

Looks like it was struck through a lamination.

Thanks Mr T, totally appreciate that. Just nice to be able to name the defect.

• Like 1

Great little coin though, let me know if you get round to selling any of these pennies as I would be interested!

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 1

And totally agree with Mr. T, the lamination has peeled off and folded over on itself before being struck.

• Like 1

Another coin fault I have just managed to buy. A 1920 Penny with blocked 2.

post-8845-0-15397200-1447783662_thumb.jp

post-8845-0-45237700-1447783676_thumb.jp

A classic die clog on that year, although not well documented. A good find!

Keep the errors coming! :)

Good find Brian. I bought one the other week and paid about £40 although had some lustre and was a decent coin.

Was in the james workman sale but went unsold .

Well spotted .

I think there's also an element of a broadstrike in there too, the rim at 4 o'clock is much thicker than at 10 o'clock.

• Like 1

An interesting one for me, a type-2 blank planchet. Looks great and can't see any sign of PMD, but there's what looks like a linear circle and I thought that it would only be evident after a strike and not before.

I have 2 questions;

1) Does the rim rolling create the linear circle or is it part of the design?

2) Is the linear circle incuse or in relief?

post-8244-0-55467100-1447847168_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-58631700-1447847170_thumb.jp

I think there's also an element of a broadstrike in there too, the rim at 4 o'clock is much thicker than at 10 o'clock.

I see what you mean. When I get it in hand I will take some better shots and post them.

Hi. This 1940 penny has two obverse die letter faults, probably caused by part of the letters on the die breaking away. this perhaps could be the result of the Mint being less particular about the quality of the coins being produced , maybe due to the constraints of war. I'm not aware of any other penny with two such errors on one face. If you have one , I would love you to post it . Terry

post-8880-0-55843700-1447936083_thumb.jp

I don't have one with 2 errors, but would you count the 1880 with the re-tooled O in ONE and the overstrike in the date?

Also is this 1940 the single or double exergue?

I found a 1940 with the clogged N but not the V, I guess N blocked up first out of the two. It was a double exergue.

Hi. Matt . It's on the common Double exergue . I've Had this penny forever, and have never seen another , even like yours with the single error. Could you post the Pic. Terry