British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

clogs, die faults, et al.

As a "new collector" (after coming back after 20+ years away from the hobby) I am always intrigued at the discussion's regarding what people regard as collectable and novalties. I love a bit of everything from variants to die flaws, expecially in bronze coinage which is my main avenue of collecting. I do not have many but have studied loads of images online. I would love to see more as this unusual die flaws and quirks maybe a side collection I may take up in the future.

I recently aquired a reasonable 1911 penny, about VF so nothing special; to be honest I thought it was a Gouby X but as usual it wasn't. Anyway it has a nice unusual break in the "B" of BRITT so thought I would let you all have a look. Maybe of no interest to some, but I like it. Would like to see other peoples, clogged dies, etc.. as I am sure there are some fantastic ones out there.

post-8845-0-21268700-1446668971_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here is the full obverse.

post-8845-0-16420600-1446669018_thumb.jp

• Like 1

OK, a starter for 10. The 1824 bare head halfcrown obverse die must have been close to disintegration when this was struck. The flaws radiate from the centre in all directions and are noticeably worse than on other 1824s I have seen.

067-Copy_zpsa52e47c0.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

An interesting double strike and the only example I have seen of Briot's milled coinage.

073-Copy_zps5599afc0.jpg

• Like 1

Lamination has been a problen as long as plate has been rolled. Pockets of air can get trapped leading to effects such as this brass 3d. The coin was held together at the periphery only, with the dark areas showing where the trapped air has oxidised the inner surface.

post-381-0-67478600-1446673479_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of my most interesting die crack coins , A piece of the penny almost the size of the Exergue is about to break away, leaving the line of the border teeth disjointed, and the second 2 enlarged. Terry

post-8880-0-09839100-1446674763_thumb.jp

post-8880-0-70950400-1446674798_thumb.jp

• Like 1

An interesting double strike and the only example I have seen of Briot's milled coinage.

073-Copy_zps5599afc0.jpg

That is an interesting coin, plus i Never thought i'd See you buy a Double struck coin. The Gold coloured one is also nice Edited by azda
  • Like 1

It ticks the example of a 'double struck coin' box. The minting techniques and errors section is full of oddballs like this, e.g. my avatar. :)

The gold coloured one is in Barton's Metal. As it was only used on a couple of occasions, again it was a case of grabbing it when the opportunity arose.

Edited by Rob

This is a rather extreme case of rotated double strike reading GVLIELMELM TERTIVTIVS and BRBRITANIA•16981698 :)

post-381-0-90641300-1446685339_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob

Here's my collection of errors so far (part 1)

post-8244-0-86830900-1446710789_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Part 2

post-8244-0-83981300-1446710818_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Part 3

post-8244-0-97850300-1446710842_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Part 4

post-8244-0-88056200-1446710879_thumb.jp

• Like 1

..and finally part 5.

post-8244-0-08015500-1446710920_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Really love that double struck coin Rob, and that error on your coin is great Terry!

This arrived yesterday too, with a whopping split through the whole planchet.

Would this be a die crack, split planchet, split die, lamination error? I can't find any information about when the crack is on both sides of the coin..

post-8244-0-02447400-1446797033_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Split planet

This is the most extreme version that I know of...

I'm on my cell phone and don't see where to post a link

Help someone. .. thanks

www.brokencc.com

post-443-0-13732700-1446829792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Split planet

This is the most extreme version that I know of...

I'm on my cell phone and don't see where to post a link

Help someone. .. thanks

www.brokencc.com

And somewhat ironically, probably one of the few errors that isn't necessarily a mint error. Spellings mistakes, incorporated material, blocked dies, double striking etc, are all things that can be attributed to an individual's handiwork or are the result of normal mint activity, but a flan that just falls apart is somewhat difficult to assign blame. If the ingots from which the blanks are produced was made elsewhere, it means that someone else was to blame.

There is an example of a rare penny, I believe the 1862 halfpenny date, that exists as a split planchet..

Regrettably, I once sold a 1862 halfpenny, die letter A, that was also a clipped planchet.

Errors involving rare dates or varieties are somewhat of a white elephant, and become difficult to place a value upon...

Often, an error on a rare date or variety lessens the value as most collectors want a "more perfect" specimen for their collection. .

• Like 1

Apart from a few date over-strikes, my pre-decimal error collection is very small.

Luckily the main attraction is this... just wish it wasn't holed :(

Apart from a few date over-strikes, my pre-decimal error collection is very small.

Luckily the main attraction is this... just wish it wasn't holed :(

(Couldn't edit and can't delete the reply above, sorry)

post-7342-0-22332200-1446836947_thumb.jp

Edited by REDD
  • Like 1

Here is a one I have, decimal 5p so not quite the same. I have picked up quite a few anomalies in the more modern decimal coinage across numerous denominations and years.

I have added a normal 5p for reference. So what would this error be classed as?

post-8845-0-41725400-1446840759_thumb.jp

post-8845-0-96907000-1446840785_thumb.jp

By the way thanks all. Loving the coins and the knowledgebase behind the errors!

There is an example of a rare penny, I believe the 1862 halfpenny date, that exists as a split planchet..

Regrettably, I once sold a 1862 halfpenny, die letter A, that was also a clipped planchet.

Errors involving rare dates or varieties are somewhat of a white elephant, and become difficult to place a value upon...

Often, an error on a rare date or variety lessens the value as most collectors want a "more perfect" specimen for their collection. .

Think the 1862 halfpenny date will be the one from the Tony crocker sale.

So what do you think happened here?

post-7102-0-34243800-1446892430_thumb.jp

post-7102-0-00738600-1446892456_thumb.jp