British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nutsaboutcoins

2016 Proof set

Just seen the Royal Mint Proof Set for 2016...£145, Are they having a laugh?

Price is ok if there is a sovereign and half sovereign in there

Just seen the Royal Mint Proof Set for 2016...£145, Are they having a laugh?

Yes, all the way to the bank! For an extra £50 or so you can have the Executive Proof Set!

Another reason why I don't collect milled! - I acquire them from circulation. Good enough for me.

Edited by Geordie582

They're targeting the people who wait for them to come out I guess, they know how many people buy them when they come out so they've just hiked the price to see what they can get away with.

Hmm, wonder what the tale of the secondary market would be???? Ouch!!!!

In Dennis heally speak the royal mint is adopting a "screw them till the pips squeek" attitude to coin fans

Depends on the coin and denomination. The £100 coins regularly go for £130-140 on the bay. Ditto the £20 go for a premium. I failed to buy a 2014 set from the RM at the time and now they are sold out it its quite hard to find one at all let alone at the RM price, so for some of these, particularly the most recent, the secondary market is quite good.

It's the last couple of years when they effectively stopped selling to the trade that the prices have rocketed.

Depends on the coin and denomination. The £100 coins regularly go for £130-140 on the bay. Ditto the £20 go for a premium. I failed to buy a 2014 set from the RM at the time and now they are sold out it its quite hard to find one at all let alone at the RM price, so for some of these, particularly the most recent, the secondary market is quite good.

The first £100 coin (Big Ben) sold out, but they seem to be struggling to sell the Buckingham Palace one. But just because they stamp a large so called legal tender value on it doesn't mean they are not profiteering. £100 for what is essentially a Crown is still excessive and I bet you will never be able to spend / bank them for face value if you were so inclined.

I see that they have now got 5 commemorative £2 coins. They're milking it out of every possible orrifice!

Edited by richtips86

I see that they have now got 5 commemorative £2 coins. They're milking it out of every possible orrifice!

That's why the price has gone up.

Even with the additional £2 coins an over 700% increase on face vale isn't justifiable.

And this is why I do not collect decimals! Nordle is right, many, many do and buy them straight from the Mint as soon as they are released. The chances of ever getting your money back if you needed to sell are virtually zero, in nearly all cases.

The first "£20 for £20" and the £100 Big Ben (which were sold by the RM at FV and free post) are rare exceptions ... not selling for much above FV, but at least in these examples the secondary market is currently higher than the initial outlay.

I collect silver decimal sets , but I never buy from RM.

My collection is about 2 years behind, because that's when they start to appear for sale on the internet (some times for a lot less money than RM sold them for)

Aye, you've caught on. Let some other sod take the hit....

Modern day proof sets are a massive rip off.