British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all, A new member here....on a metal detecting day i found this penny...is there any significance in the 3 having a slightly bigger space than the other numbers and being slightly on a tilt......

Thanks

Si

post-8902-0-62692900-1446219061_thumb.jp

Hi Bluebenz - looks like a normal 1863 to me. The 3 is a little further to the right than usual maybe but sadly nothing to get too excited about in my view.

Agree with Rashenly. The less than perfect spacing between the date numerals, as well as the numbers leaning at an angle is quite common in the early 1860's, especially in 1861. Mainly, I suspect, on coins produced by James Watt.

Mainly, I suspect, on coins produced by James Watt.

Why is that? They didn't do the dates themselves did they?

I'm not sure it was specifically because the early coins were outsourced.

Up to about 1880, the last digit or 2 digits were entered manually on the die. This is why you sometimes see a variation in the width of these dates, with the right hand digits showing variable spacing. The footnote on ESC p.135 refers. It may possibly have occurred after this time, but I have no documentary evidence to support the theory.

With bronze it is till 1866 I am made to believe (as per Gouby).

Somewhere on this forum is an 1870 with variable spacing, so make of it what you will.

Yikes, please let's not go down this row....

Truth is Vicky, there's a lot we don't know. Last week I was shown an 1887 6d with the second reverse that had the last digit a full tick to the right of all the others seen. That had to be put in by hand too as it was slightly misaligned.

I think it is a case of take everything you read with a pinch of salt unless you are happy in your own mind it is true.

Yes.

I meant to say it also occurs quite widely on the 1864 crosslet 4 - the 4 well separated from the other figures, and often very weakly struck.

Obviously, that couldn't be blamed on James Watt.

Edited by 1949threepence

Hockings may have the answer you are looking for,

His records from the Royal Mint indicate Matrices with the date 18__ for the Copper coinage, punches and dies thereafter

had the required numbers added.

Hahaha, that's some quality placement. What rev. die is that Terry?

Cheers Terry.

It's Matt B)

Edited by Nordle11