British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

swanny3339

Re-Toning

Its a nice coin that has been authenticated and i would just take it out and if you like it keep it.

The variety (3) that you sent they have looked at 25 and rejected 10.

12 of the remaining that were ok were graded between 50 and 70 the same as your own and that IMO would not make any difference to the price.

The coin is entered on the system from the day they first look at it and when finalised is already in the plastic .

I agree they could of taken it out for you though anyway, although now the choice is yours,your first question was should i take it out or not .

Pete.

On the CGS web site , if you read about the slabbing process , it states a "reject" coin has the option of not being slabbed , I was not given this option

I paid the higher rate to get my coin turned around in 30 days , should I note have been informed that they had changed this

Anyway on with life , I have learned a lesson here , and I wish I had read all the comments on here about CGS first

post-509-0-37258600-1446236111_thumb.jpg

Here she is guys. She is the Secretary of London Coins Limited, who owns 51% of CGS Grading. The other two Officers are Stephen and Gillian Lockett, who are Directors. Who owns the other 49%...I do not know.

Semra has no manners at all to the people who pay her wages, she really needs to get laid and chill out

OMG , now I have a face to rant my anger at LOL

Here Semra , I have a picture for you to look at .... ITS OUT NOW.......

post-8901-0-82718300-1446236774_thumb.pn

Edited by SWANNY

Hahahaha :D

Great post, Swanny.

No wanting to sound repetative but why are people still persisting with CGS ?

For me, mainly because of convenience and expense. You don't have to pay membership fees, they accept single coin submissions, and it's cheaper. And there is some respect for CGS grading within the UK.

I was under the impression PCGS accepted single coin submissions. I have never myself had any dealings with CGS yet everyone seems to complain about the service they provide and the treatment they receive from the staff there so i just wondered why people keep on dealing with them.

PCGS accepts single-coin submissions, but adding the shipping both ways, the cost becomes prohibitive.

I’m sure there are UK dealers who can submit coins to PCGS on a collector’s behalf? I know St James does it on an ad hoc basis so long as you consign the coin to them for auction. There may be others too.

Edited by drakesterling

attachicon.gifSemra Cetin.jpg

Here she is guys. She is the Secretary of London Coins Limited, who owns 51% of CGS Grading. The other two Officers are Stephen and Gillian Lockett, who are Directors. Who owns the other 49%...I do not know.

Semra has no manners at all to the people who pay her wages, she really needs to get laid and chill out

Crikey

She will be busy tomorrow night. :o

• Like 1

In general what exactly is meant by "re-toning"? I assume it is not the same as the category "cleaned" which presumably has hairlines.

So does it mean that a coin has been lightly dipped to remove the old toning and has now toned again? Can one tell if a coin has once been lightly dipped (say 50 years ago) and has now toned strongly? Would they have rejected a lightly dipped coin with no toning if the lustre has not been noticeably dulled? I don't think they have a reject category for "dipped".

There are a lot of slabbed "bright" coins that must have been dipped, so that may be to their whim. A lot of those Gothics have a purple tone that makes me think they may have been stored with some kind of felt or other similar material & then they have some of the other colours. You should see some of the PCGS posts on colour progression (I don't remember crystallography to well from chemistry, but looks like they took some basic truths and ran with it & IMO their opinions a load of BS).

A coin retoned 50 years ago would I think not be so obvious and would likely generally escape detection. However, I have seen some coins that appear suspicious for old cleaning and not retoned, I think just through experience.

I still think based on picture presentation that the OP coin is likely legit though, and have seen a few.

I also have a coin rejected for "Re-toning". I think if they meant "Cleaned (or dipped) and now naturally re-toning", they would give "Cleaned" as the reason for rejection, so I think they mean that in their opinion the coin has been subjected to some form of AT

Having read the assertions about CGS on both this thread and another on here, I definitely won't be using them if by some remote chance I actually want to have a coin slabbed. They sound nightmarish to deal with.

Quite the worst bit for me was altering the offered one month turnaround time, to three months and not amending the form (assuming the poster was not using an old form he'd had for a time). It then appears that all complaints are dismissed in a highly cavalier fashion.

Conversely, I've never had a problem dealing with them when successfully bidding at auction.

Having read the assertions about CGS on both this thread and another on here, I definitely won't be using them if by some remote chance I actually want to have a coin slabbed. They sound nightmarish to deal with.

Quite the worst bit for me was altering the offered one month turnaround time, to three months and not amending the form (assuming the poster was not using an old form he'd had for a time). It then appears that all complaints are dismissed in a highly cavalier fashion.

Conversely, I've never had a problem dealing with them when successfully bidding at auction.

Their submission form has clearly stated up to 90 days for standard submissions for well over a year now, so I imagine it was an old form. but I cannot defend their attitude towards customers who phone with queries. To be honest, I think a certain lady is responsible for this poor experience.

Their submission form has clearly stated up to 90 days for standard submissions for well over a year now, so I imagine it was an old form. but I cannot defend their attitude towards customers who phone with queries. To be honest, I think a certain lady is responsible for this poor experience.

Indeed, she sounds distinctly arrogant.

If you ever go to the Midland fair she's always on the London Coins stand, waiting for someone to argue with. Just in case you want to, you know, throw stuff at her or something. :D

:rolleyes: I'm finding it hard to believe all this stuff about Semra - she always remembers my name at the auctions and lets me takeaway expensive items by leaving a post-dated cheque. Am I just lucky or endowed with more charm than you guys ??????

Answers on a postcard........... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I'm finding it hard to believe all this stuff about Semra - she always remembers my name at the auctions and lets me takeaway expensive items by leaving a post-dated cheque. Am I just lucky or endowed with more charm than you guys ??????

I would think that someone who slabs frequently receives a better manner than someone who slabs one coin in a blue moon. The fact of the matter is she should have the same manner with everyone who chooses to use her company for attribution, her manners are lacking and will only drive away potential customers who have used it once or twice to get a feel for what they do.

It's certainly not a good way to get repeat business, nor is increasing the price of attribution and increasing the turnaround time.

You must have the magic touch............ B)

Just put a coin through CGS UK to confirm it was not a fake

Came back with "Reject - re-toned"

Now here is the problem :- the coin has been slabbed , should I remove it from the slab so it can re-tone normally ?

Just out of interest I do wonder -

- did the seller inform you that the coin was cleaned and artificially re-toned?

- if you knew, would you buy it and pay the same money you did?

It came from an auction , and was described as "nicely toned EF"

If it had said "re-toned" I don't think I would have purchased

I,m not sure where "cleaned" came from , are you saying the coin would have been cleaned and then re-toned ?

Swanny, I just don't think that is other than a decent piece and has a presentation consistent with many others I have seen in hand, if admittedly this from the photos.

I,m not sure where "cleaned" came from , are you saying the coin would have been cleaned and then re-toned ?

Generally speaking, artificial toning is often used to cover up an old cleaning.

Generally speaking, artificial toning is often used to cover up an old cleaning.

Generally speaking the Americans artificially tone coins to enhance the price, so it would depend where it was bought

Swanny you paid the money for an independent opinion.

I know its not what you wanted to here as its happened to me and we dont want to find out a coin is rejected or lower grade than we hoped.

I suggest you phone them ,speak to a grader ,let them explain why it was rejected and move on.

They will explain there opinion and remember they are not there to just tell you what you want to here just there opinion ,that you paid for.

If you were not happy with the service you have a choice weather to send any in the future.

Pete.

If I try to phone , I will have to get past Semra, and I don't think that will happen

I got what I wanted , to confirm it was not a fake, and it got a grade of EF which is what I was looking for

As for the "Jeject" label , I was very upset at first , but can live with it