British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

swanny3339

Re-Toning

Just put a coin through CGS UK to confirm it was not a fake

Came back with "Reject - re-toned"

Now here is the problem :- the coin has been slabbed , should I remove it from the slab so it can re-tone normally ?

I honestly hate slabbed coins so , I think it is an other element for remove the box. :) :)

Seriously I don't see any other alternatives ... If you needed the proof that it's not a fake now you have it .. Take a picture of the coin slabbed to cofirm that is the same coin before remove the slab.

Now here is the problem :- the coin has been slabbed , should I remove it from the slab so it can re-tone normally ?

Yes.

Yes.

Yeah.

I would feel re toned means its what it says and doubt very much its going to tone much better at least over the next few years.

Welcome to the forum swanny can you tell us the UIN for the picture ?.

Pictures?

yes , a photo of the coin slabbed could be the proof that the coin is original

For those that don't want to log in and search..

A really nice coin too!

post-8244-0-02249500-1446194286_thumb.jp

I had a few problems with CGS UK that I think I should point out

1. On the form coin submission form I selected a one month turn around time, little did I know that they changed this to three months without telling me

2. While on the phone to them after a month to ask where my coin was, I was spoken to very rudely by a foreign lady who would not answer any of my questions

3. When I received an email stating my coin had failed grading, and would be marked "Reject-re-toned" I called them again, and asked for my coin not to be slabbed. The response was its too late (1 day from receiving the email). If you read the grading process on their web site , it states I should have had the option to not have my coin slabbed.

The only reason the coin was sent to them was to confirm it was not a fake. I think the coin looks great (I don,t know about re-toning) and will be keeping the coin because I like the way it looks

I like the look of the coin too. If I own it, I probably won't want to keep it in a holder which say "reject" either.

Rather poor customer service from CGS if they won't return the coin unslabbed. They take coins out of holders all the time and it is disappointing they won't put in the small amount of effort to do so in your case. (Their fee is £4.99 if you send them a slabbed coin to get it re-encapsulated. So it is no big deal on their part).

I don't think they have been offering 1 month turnaround service for quite a few years now. Fees are £23.75 for 90 days and £39.00 for 15 days (for coin value greater than 2k). If you have paid £39.00, then you should get a refund if they took 3 months.

The last coin I got back from them had a crack on the holder. But it wasn't worth the effort to complain.

No wanting to sound repetative but why are people still persisting with CGS ?

If you want a coin authenticated take it to a reliable coin dealer who will be able to do this for you. If you intend on grading the coin in plastic to add value send it to PCGS or NGC.

For me, mainly because of convenience and expense. You don't have to pay membership fees, they accept single coin submissions, and it's cheaper. And there is some respect for CGS grading within the UK.

Edited by Sword

From what I read on the internet , CGS are very strict on their grading (as I found out myself)

Haha maybe we should all get you to call when we have any problems Pete! :P

SWANNY - This is who your number 2 was, she is well known for the same reasons that she left that impression with you!

For me, mainly because of convenience and expense. You don't have to pay membership fees, they accept single coin submissions, and it's cheaper. And there is some respect for CGS grading within the UK.

I was under the impression PCGS accepted single coin submissions. I have never myself had any dealings with CGS yet everyone seems to complain about the service they provide and the treatment they receive from the staff there so i just wondered why people keep on dealing with them.

Admittedly only from the pictures (thanks, Nordie!!), but I don't see a problem with that coin in particular as it appears to have relatively near normal toning or at least within the range of what one sees. I don't particularly have a problem with the TPG concept, but their grading is at times a bit inconsistent. It might give you that bit of extra value if it was to land in a PCGS holder with a numerical grade - how about PCGS of Europe and get a dealer to submit?

This, along with the other CGS/slab threads make an interesting read. As a newbie I can see the attraction of having someone look over your coin and independently grade it hopefulyl validating what you believe its grade is so much so I am considering submitting 3 or 4 of my coins. One of my over riding concerns was not that fact that something may get rejected (I am learning, it will happen) but that it will get rejected and slabbed. If it was made clear on any submission that you did not want any coin rejected to be slabbed would they honour your request?

I,m sorry to say , but I think the reason for refusing my request to not slab my coin was to lower its value, and keep the number of EF Gothic crowns down , making the others more valuable !

The coin was rejected and therefore a value not put on it weather its in plastic or not ?.

Its a nice coin that has been authenticated and i would just take it out and if you like it keep it.

The variety (3) that you sent they have looked at 25 and rejected 10.

12 of the remaining that were ok were graded between 50 and 70 the same as your own and that IMO would not make any difference to the price.

The coin is entered on the system from the day they first look at it and when finalised is already in the plastic .

I agree they could of taken it out for you though anyway, although now the choice is yours,your first question was should i take it out or not .

Pete.

Semra has no manners at all to the people who pay her wages, she really needs to get laid and chill out