British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

shilling over date?

Good morning gentlemen. So I've got this coin (and it's not been engraved!)

I just wanted to run this by you please? Is this a Davis 9 over 6 /8/ 9 or something different? The surface looks slightly odd in the picture, but looks genuine in hand to me.

Thanks in advance.

post-7102-0-21984100-1445940048_thumb.gi

post-7102-0-50400700-1445940069_thumb.gi

9 over 9, I would have said.

Jerry

Last year, I purchased this coin here (link below) described as "9 over inverted 6".

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/29769125

Up until now, it was the only 1819 shilling with this kind of overdate I've seen. Are overdate varieties such as these popular in the UK?

Eric Eigner

Works for me Drake, but it is very clearly another 1819/9 as far as I can see, can anyone else access Drake's link?

In fact, it is SO clearly an 1819/9 (to my eyes) that I can only imagine it was a typo by someone at PCGS! Here is a close-up from the PCGS database pic

1819_over_6_or_9_pcgs.png

Edited by Paulus

9/9 has to be wonderful though very clear

Edited by copper123

Debbie, I think 9/9 too.

Eric. There is nothing to suggest a 9 over 6. If 9 over 6 there would have to be an arch representing the top of the 6 loop, but all I see is the bottom of a loop. i.e. 9 over 9 as has already been said. Whether it was someone at the PCGS office having a bad day, or them relying on what they have been told, it's clearly wrong.

An ' inverted 6' would look a lot like a 9, but an actual 9 would be so much more likely. Is there any difference in the shape of the digit that would cause them to deduce that it is an 'inverted 6'?

Jerry

Sorry, I must read all the description. Didn't see the 'inverted' bit. There is a slight variation in 6 punches, but nothing that stands out as being markedly different from a 9. I would be surprised if they had distinct punches for the two. I don't have many images of 9s, but all the 6s and 9s I have fall into one of the attached. The 3rd 6 might possibly be over a corrected 8 given the shape.

Given there are several punches used and that a 6 is an inverted 9 or vice-versa, I can't see how you would say one was a 6 as opposed to a 9. It is possible that more punches were used as a 6 than as a 9 given the prolific output of the new coinage, but that doesn't make them specifically 6s. Alternatively, you could take the view that all 1816s are struck as 1819s in error. :ph34r:

post-381-0-75182100-1446321769_thumb.jpg

Yes, I can see that now, too! ? An inverted 6 corrected in error by an inverted 6! Love coins! :)

I suspect my 1666 Crown is the ultra rare "3 inverted 9s error" - I have submitted it to PCGS for their confirmation

I suspect my 1666 Crown is the ultra rare "3 inverted 9s error" - I have submitted it to PCGS for their confirmation

Good luck Paulus

My fingers are X for you.

An ' inverted 6' would look a lot like a 9, but an actual 9 would be so much more likely. Is there any difference in the shape of the digit that would cause them to deduce that it is an 'inverted 6'?

Jerry

I agree, Rob and Jerry. If you hear clopping, assume it's a horse not a zebra. I'm not sure why it was assumed to be an inverted 6 rather than a more obvious 9. I'll have to dig out the coin and take a closer look to see if there is any evidence to suggest that it is an upside-down 6.

On 10/27/2015 at 6:01 AM, Debbie said:

Good morning gentlemen. So I've got this coin (and it's not been engraved!)

I just wanted to run this by you please? Is this a Davis 9 over 6 /8/ 9 or something different? The surface looks slightly odd in the picture, but looks genuine in hand to me.

Thanks in advance.

post-7102-0-21984100-1445940048_thumb.gi

post-7102-0-50400700-1445940069_thumb.gi

i'd pay $30 for it!