British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

AdamCurtis

1841 half crown help please

13 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Thats ridiculous, the problem we have with this alternative grading scale is it simply confuses the buyers.

For example MS63 (PCGS / NGC) for a milled coin is not uncirculated, Uncirculated beings at MS64. The levels which a coin is considered GEF is IMO 61 - 63

Ummm, and the sellers / dealers!

I couldn't agree more, the decision to use a different scale and then to change it was a big mistake!

I don't like the US term Mint State (MS) for coins below aUNC though

Edited by Paulus

12 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Thats ridiculous, the problem we have with this alternative grading scale is it simply confuses the buyers.

For example MS63 (PCGS / NGC) for a milled coin is not uncirculated, Uncirculated beings at MS64. The levels which a coin is considered GEF is IMO 61 - 63

MS61 I'd agree with being GEF, 63 is knocking on the door of UNC

A nice coin ....is a nice coin....unless your selling them it does not matter,but i am putting them away(apart from duplicates) for a long time.

I have over two hundred slabbed cgs pennies ....Boooooooooooo

I dont just have them graded just for the grade ....more importantly are they ok and not rejected.

Believe me ....some people with years of experience would perhaps be suprised with rejections, proven faults with some coins.

Someone like me who might pay a few pound for a coin ,happy to pay a bit more for a second opinion as putting the coin away for a few years.

So for me i am not too bothered about sheldon scale or any scale... more is the coin OK.

Grading companies just grade the coin more often than not....i have good mates with years of experience can do that.

I want someone to tell me as a second opinion if / whats wrong with it....a lot harder.

Pete :)

4 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

A nice coin ....is a nice coin....unless your selling them it does not matter,but i am putting them away(apart from duplicates) for a long time.

I have over two hundred slabbed cgs pennies ....Boooooooooooo

I dont just have them graded just for the grade ....more importantly are they ok and not rejected.

Believe me ....some people with years of experience would perhaps be suprised with rejections, proven faults with some coins.

Someone like me who might pay a few pound for a coin ,happy to pay a bit more for a second opinion as putting the coin away for a few years.

So for me i am not too bothered about sheldon scale or any scale... more is the coin OK.

Grading companies just grade the coin more often than not....i have good mates with years of experience can do that.

I want someone to tell me as a second opinion if / whats wrong with it....a lot harder.

Pete :)

Lot's of different reasons for using a TPG Pete, and I agree with what you are saying :)

Thank you.

I am not being difficult,its not always about grade.

For me its about has it got a PROBLEM i didnt notice.

A lot of people miss the obvious because they dont want to see it IMO.

GRADE mad ...not looking at the problems :)

Plus, is it authentic, what variety is it? (CGS are good at this), looking back £13,75 per coin was a bargain and I was pleased with the results, if not the customer service or time taken! Missing them already!

Incidentally, if you have a UIN you want to look up, there is a way of still doing that ;)

Yes .....I would show a coin to three people and they might not be far off with the grade.

Its the one who finds a fault i am looking for ....That as i have found and studied over the last few years is a lot harder.

Lights,magnification,edges.....Has it got FAULTS

They are never going to be perfect but the knowledge Paul had with regards rejections at cgs was quality ,can only talk about pennies.

Just a phone call and i made dozens....Paul.... what do you mean ?..... explained in depth and sure he was pissed off with me asking questions untill i understood.

We all want to learn and sometimes as with anything costs money......as does grading.

Exceptions too everything ,you may not agree .

They put in a slab and tell you about things that a lot of selllers / buyers wish to ignore or not mention.

YOU PAY FOR SOMEONE INDEPENDENT....might not be good news :lol:

You pay ... and they tell you an opinion...and saved me a lot of money in the first couple of years with rejections and learned a lot also.

I had quite a few rejections on coins worth £500 + and got my money returned from dealers straight away , who i continue to buy from.

I have learned a lot more since and continue to do so..from in some instances Pauls explanation.

So for everyone who wants to put a bad word in not a problem as your not interested and if you are happy you will never need them.

From me Be lucky.

Not a sales pitch....infact not anything ......but the truth.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Whatever happens next I hope Paul is still part of the setup, they have their place in the scheme of things in my reckoning :)

I would not have got refunded on my dodgy Northumberland shilling if it wasn't for CGS, my first involvement with them

It has the number CGS 65. I'm torn whether to hold on to it or sell it at the moment! Out of curiosity, where would be the best place to sell the coin?

6 minutes ago, AdamCurtis said:

It has the number CGS 65. I'm torn whether to hold on to it or sell it at the moment! Out of curiosity, where would be the best place to sell the coin?

Paulus means the UIN number and not the grade number, the UIN would start with 00 and would look like 0034567 for example. Selling the coin you'd have choices, such as Baldwins, Londoncoins or DNW, your best bet IMO would be St James as they have a 0% commission fee for sellers on coins over £1000 hammer, which yours would be, the other take between 10 and 20% i think

Edited by azda

6 minutes ago, AdamCurtis said:

Number is 39741.

And you have it back? Still waiting on mine numbered 39472 onwards!

16 minutes ago, AdamCurtis said:

Number is 39741.

Here are the CGS pics of your coin

1841_hc_01_cgs_65_uin_39741_1300.jpg

Yes I have, I received it yesterday! The CGS service was horrendous but they are going through some sort of re structuring apparently.

Wow, that picture really shows some lovely toning. IMO, preferred to the technically higher ranked/numbered pieces that have been mucked with or dipped. 

Adam that is a beautiful example and has a lot going for it. I would expect it will appreciate because there will be a lot of slobbering H/C boys (as the Mancs say "Mad for it")

Yes very nice coin Adam !

I think lots of serious collectors would love to own a specimen like that.  The obverse in particular is lovely.

In deciding whether to keep it, I suppose it depends how much emotional or sentimental attachment you have to it, Adam?  For example, if I wasn't particularly interested in stamps (I'm not) and someone left me some rare stamps, I wouldn't hesitate to sell them (and probably spend some or all of the proceeds on something I did want, like a sculpture or a painting, to remind me of the valuable original item).

Good luck with your decision.  You have something very special.

yes its a nice coin but IMO thats an awful picture

I would also suggest that the GEF grade given, is rather generous judging by the pictures. Unless this is a common issue with 1840 halfcrown, there appears to be very little detail on the Reverse shield lions and harps

Many times not struck up, this does not mean the coin is actually worn - at least to that level. I would not quite give an American MS, but rather AU55-8. Still lovely though.