British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

secret santa

Customs charges - how do they work ?

Does anyone out there understand how Customs charges work ? I've bought 3 or 4 coins from Heritage in the US and they always charge a large customs charge over and above delivery. On the other hand, I've bought 2 coins from Goldberg auctions in the US and there no customs charges. The coins from Spink's US sale of Gerald W Jackson also produced no customs charges. Have I been unlucky with Heritage or lucky with the other 2 ?

Here in Italy we pay from Us a tax IVA ( VAT for you ) but some auction describes lots in a particular way ( for example material to study ) and for that we don't pay it .... However you should see all details on the invoices .

It can depend on how assiduous the RM is in collecting duties. Sometimes they aren't on the ball.

Here in Italy we pay from Us a tax IVA ( VAT for you ) but some auction describes lots in a particular way ( for example material to study ) and for that we don't pay it .... However you should see all details on the invoices .

Yes, I've bought coins from the US and Canada which have been decribed as a "token" or "gift", for which no customs charge has been imposed. But then, some of the packages get through anyway. Don't know whether it's a random check which is made. I suspect that it is, due to sheer volume.

Heritage use FedEx for more expensive purchases, FedEx invoice the charges separately, whether they pass it on is another question

Here in Spain it's anything over about €20 it seems :( and their process is abysmal by any standards.

Anything worth having sent here that I actually want to end up seeing, I get it sent to the UK first and then have it shipped here, it's a pain.

I've had some useful feedback on this. It does seem that Heritage display the actual price paid for the item and the customs charges are calculated appropriately. This does mean that buying from Heritage can incur commission (17.5%), sterling conversion fee if paying on a UK credit card (~3.5%), shipping (1%-ish) plus customs fees (~6%). This can all add up to around 30% of the hammer price so do take this into account when bidding at their auctions.

Richard

.. plus customs fees (~6%).

Richard

Actually, "collectors' pieces of.. numismatic interest" with a value of more than £15 but less that £135 should only be liable to VAT. And at an effectively reduced rate of 5% Below £135 there's no Duty to pay.

What can add to the cost of lower cost items is the Royal Mail charges for the collection of the import duty. I've had to pay £16 on a £42 coin. When I challenged it the VAT had been miscalculated. I received a refund against that. But of course still had to accept the £8 RM fee!

post-129-0-24797300-1444819434_thumb.jpg

I've had some useful feedback on this. It does seem that Heritage display the actual price paid for the item and the customs charges are calculated appropriately. This does mean that buying from Heritage can incur commission (17.5%), sterling conversion fee if paying on a UK credit card (~3.5%), shipping (1%-ish) plus customs fees (~6%). This can all add up to around 30% of the hammer price so do take this into account when bidding at their auctions.

Richard

Customs duty should be 0% but there is 5% VAT. If there is any doubt RM makes it 20% VAT

As with Nordles post we get hit with anything outside the EU with charges and we're allowed up to 22, everything depends on how it's packages.

For instance if a coin is sent in an evelope (suitably protected of course) then German customs tend not to open it as it looks like a letter, if it's packaged in a box then it will be opened and checked

Customs charges in my experience are a mystery and not easy to check or dispute much in the same way as mobile phone bills.