British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
goomolique

Shill bidding?

I remember members posting links to ebay coin auctions with bid history similar to the one below.

Sometimes accusing seller of illegal practices.

This is the link to the alloys i posted on ebay few days ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141790110332?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I dont know any of the bidders involved.

Just wanted to share .

That's the action you get when the first bidder has put an automatic bid on with a stated maximum bid. Thd second bidder is repeatedly trying him out to see how high No 1s limit is set.

Sometimes I like to bid in small increments when there is an existing bid, depending on the lot. It gives the illusion of many bidders trying to get the same item, even if it puts off one person from looking at it further then it's done the trick.

• Like 1

Think a lot of it Goomolique is that some sellers shill everything and you get familiar with them.

Surely Nordle if someone was not familiar with ebay and saw lots of bids would make them more keen to have a look.

Pete.

Mum's the word, I say...

Think a lot of it Goomolique is that some sellers shill everything and you get familiar with them.

Surely Nordle if someone was not familiar with ebay and saw lots of bids would make them more keen to have a look.

Pete.

That's true, it's one way to look at it, although I'd hope anyone who wasn't too familiar with eBay and/or coins wouldn't be very much competition.

Another thing is the introduction of those 3 buttons to increase your bid when you're outbid, sometimes it's easier to click it 3, 4, 5 times and up your bid just a little to see if you can outbid the current winner before dropping your maximum on it.

Not to mention I'm a kid at heart so I just want to press all the buttons :P

I actually blocked someone for bidding 34 times at £1 increment, I thought he was taking the piss and trying to ruin my auction.

As you can tell, i'm not a fan of the small increment bidding

• Like 1

:lol:

I thought he was taking the piss ......

So commonly used here I was wondering what Pete and Nordie were on about !! ha haha

As an 85 year old, I feel you're taking the mickey . :wub::rolleyes::D

As an 85 year old, I feel you're taking the mickey . :wub::rolleyes::D

I'm gaining on you Geordie...I'll be 80 in December! :)

I've strongly suspected shill bidding on a number of occasions. The problem, of course, is proving it. Without hard evidence you're up bodily function creek without a paddle :ph34r:

If you put in an odd value then creep up in £1 increments the next bid increment before before you reach the highest bid will be an odd increment so you can tell what the highest bid is before exceeding it. You can then sit below it and not panic the highest bidder.

• Like 1

Sly dog, Gary ;)