British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

loose54

Testing myself on Freeman Varieties

Hi all, I am a keen observer of this forum, I do not say much on here but look at the forum daily. Some of the coins I see on here are beautiful and the knowledge that goes with them is incomparable. I have seen many pennies over the past few weeks/months and they have started to interest me but I have found myself to sometimes be following the threads and getting confused with the enormous amount of varieties. So, I recently purchased a copy of Freeman's Bronze Coinage of Great Britain and thought I would see if I could follow any of it! I have quite a large lot of pennies (pieces that have just been put in a junk box really) and thought I would try and attribute a Freeman number to them. I have tried on the 2 1861 pennies attached. Anyway, I was wondering if maybe some of the experts on here could advise me where I am going wrong/right in interpreting the differences in varieties that Freeman lists (some of them seem minor enough that I find myself struggling). I have gone for the first 1861 Penny as Freeman 21 3+D and the slightly better 1861 penny as F25 4+G. I am fully prepared for these attributions to be slightly/very/astonishingly wide of the mark but thought that I would give it a go and if anyone had a spare minute they could advise me where I am going wrong. Hopefully I can get a slightly better grip on this series as I really do find it fascinating. Thanks for all of your help and for continuously posting such lovely coins and useful information.

post-7996-0-80590900-1443795913_thumb.jp

post-7996-0-26030100-1443795922_thumb.jp

post-7996-0-23456600-1443795927_thumb.jp

post-7996-0-77487400-1443795932_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Does look like a F21, with the colon after G of DG pointing to a gap, well done, a rare coin with significant value even in that condition.

I think the 4 plus G is correct also.

Jerry

I would also get a copy of the Michael Gouby Book on the same subject, ist has been updated since the Freeman book, i don't know If Mr Gouby still has any avaliable, but its definately one worth buying If you intend to collect Pennies.

I'm on my cell phone, so the images are smallish, and I can't confirm by counting teeth...

However, based upon what I can see , your attributions are correct.....

Michael Gouby's book on the subject is quite good in that it provides large clear pictures of each obverse and reverse in their entirety.

Well done loos some are hard to tell and i would be lost without the forum or the books i use almost daily.

The michael gouby book is good as mentioned and available off his site.

The British Bronze Penny 1860 - 1901

Looks right to me

Thank you for the confirmation all. I must admit I do not know if I can make the commitment of collecting the series, it makes my mind boggle. But I find it incredibly interesting nonetheless and it is nice to hear I am learning. I look forward to seeing more wonderful specimens!

Hi Loose, there are decent photos of all the Freeman varieties on my collection website (see below) and if you click on an image you get an enlargement which should help you with identifying varieties.

• Like 2

I see that those two 1861's are now for sale at LCA Lot 2763 if any member was interested, £100 - £200

• Like 1

I am currently producing a website which I hope will be useful for penny collectors to identify particular varieties. I am trying to bring together Gouby and Freeman varieties in one place with pictures and descriptions, including patterns and proofs.

I'd appreciate feedback

Merry Christmas

• Like 1

Just now, secret santa said:

I am currently producing a website which I hope will be useful for penny collectors to identify particular varieties. I am trying to bring together Gouby and Freeman varieties in one place with pictures and descriptions, including patterns and proofs.

I'd appreciate feedback

Merry Christmas

website is www.headsntails.wordpress.com

Just now, secret santa said:

website is www.headsntails.wordpress.com

sorry,

www.headsntails14.wordpress.com

I don't collect penny varieties but this strikes me as incredibly useful for those that do!

Well done Richard I say! :)

Yes extremely useful, have had a glance before and left my feedback already but in true Pete fashion - hats off to you Richard :)

And merry Christmas too. 

I've copied and pasted both those addresses into my google bar and it's not coming up with anything :mellow:

Excellent Richard, a fine reference, thanks for all the effort you put in on behalf of us penny lovers!  Penny lovers?

Makes us sound cheap...what is the word? Denariologists? Pennyphiles? (liable to mis-interpretation) Pennyologists? Need some help here!

Anyway, Merry Xmas everybody!

Jerry

34 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dont know if its just me (probably) but cant find anything:o

No, not just you. As I said 2 posts before you, the web address is not bringing anything up (either of them) 

ETA: Tried on my PC, tablet (using a separate secure network) and my laptop - nothing on any of them. We could do with a non greyed out clicky.  

Edited by 1949threepence
added a bit

Works for me, typed it in.

9 minutes ago, jelida said:

Works for me, typed it in.

Could you possibly post a proper link on here? Thanks.

Weird that two of us can't see the site.

I get this - link