British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nutsaboutcoins

Clubs and societies

I'm interested in knowing how people feel about coin clubs and numismatic societies. They seem to be in decline.

Are you a member of a local society or national / international society, or do you only join online forums?

If you are a member, what do you get out of your chosen society(s)

If you are not a member of a society, is there a particular reason why not?

Me

I'm a member of my local society, The Tyneside NS, as well as a couple of online forums and a few facebook groups too. I have considered joining either BNS or RNS and even ANA, but I'm really not sure I would get anything out of it, so is it worth it for me?

I love seeing / reading about things I know nothing about, and I'm always blown away at how generous everybody is with their time and knowledge. Monthly meetings keep my interest in numismatics simmering away as life can often get in the way and other interests can go off the boil for months if not years on end.

Will the internet kill off societies? I hope not.

Ian..

There are no clubs near me.

When at home time is precious and the internet does me fine.

Edited by Peter

We have 2 in Manchester, the Lancs and Cheshire which meets at the university and the South Manchester which meets in the far superior surroundings of the Nursery in Heaton Moor. (Hyde' beers :) ). I am a member of the South Manchester. We have a core membership of around a dozen who attend nearly all meetings, with a few more making intermittent apperances.

For all the talk about them being in decline, our membership has stayed nearly constant, varying only by +/-1 member per annum from one to the next. It probably helps that there are another 3 or 4 groups within an hour's drive, so it is reasonably easy to get a guest speaker to talk about a field that is not normal for the regulars. These operate on a reciprocal basis. There is also an inter-county quiz covering Lancashire and Cheshire. We also have guest speakers coming from further afield, with former RM curator Graham Dyer talking about milled coins, Joe Bispham on Edward VI shillings and Lee Toone talking about Roman to name but three who have given talks.

It is clear that they are far less popular than fifty years ago, but that is just a reflection of modern society with its marketing of hobbies and pastimes, far more numerous today compared to the DIY era of post-war Britain.

It is unlikely the internet will kill off societies, as even for insular old gits like me it provides an excuse to get out and talk face to face about coins with similar minded people.

For all the talk about them being in decline, our membership has stayed nearly constant, varying only by +/-1 member per annum from one to the next. It probably helps that there are another 3 or 4 groups within an hour's drive, so it is reasonably easy to get a guest speaker to talk about a field that is not normal for the regulars. These operate on a reciprocal basis. There is also an inter-county quiz covering Lancashire and Cheshire. We also have guest speakers coming from further afield, with former RM curator Graham Dyer talking about milled coins, Joe Bispham on Edward VI shillings and Lee Toone talking about Roman to name but three who have given talks.

It is clear that they are far less popular than fifty years ago, but that is just a reflection of modern society with its marketing of hobbies and pastimes, far more numerous today compared to the DIY era of post-war Britain.

It is unlikely the internet will kill off societies, as even for insular old gits like me it provides an excuse to get out and talk face to face about coins with similar minded people.

Good to hear your club is going strong. TNS has around 20 members about 15 regularly attending, but our average age is higher than I would like. Speakers are a problem for us as there are no other clubs close, and speakers willing to travel late on a school night are few & far between. If you are ever in the north east on the second Wednesday of the month you would be most welcome as a guest or speaker :)

I hope the interweb becomes a complementary string to the clubs rather than a replacement, but worry younger collectors will join forums but not clubs.

The problem of young collectors is not new. Whilst it has always been possible for young people to collect from change, it is, and always has been a totally different matter to expect them to shell out many tens or more of pounds on a coin. People who only collect from change don't need a society and young people tend not to have the financial liquidity required to form a quality collection. Coin collecting has traditionally been pursued by middle aged people or older.

Forums and clubs can live side by side. The only members of this forum in the South Manchester are me and Geoff T. Davidrj was, but his membership has lapsed. With so little crossover, I don't think that one meeting place will replace the other. Every member of the South Manchester is on the web, so this clearly hasn't stopped them going to meetings.

Anyway, it is good to compare notes and see what people have bought.

I don't have a club close to me and working shifts means I often can't get to evening events.

However I have made contracts via the internet and correspond regularly with a few of them. One in particular I share new purchases and discuss all matters 'coiny' with. We've only met in person once but it's a good way to enjoy the hobby even if all by email.

Virtually my whole collection has been sourced via the internet so I don't particularly miss meeting people while I have online friends and forums like this

Not that I'm against the idea of clubs. If there was a convenient local society its quite likely I'd join.

Edited by TomGoodheart

The problem of young collectors is not new. Whilst it has always been possible for young people to collect from change, it is, and always has been a totally different matter to expect them to shell out many tens or more of pounds on a coin. People who only collect from change don't need a society and young people tend not to have the financial liquidity required to form a quality collection. Coin collecting has traditionally been pursued by middle aged people or older.

Forums and clubs can live side by side. The only members of this forum in the South Manchester are me and Geoff T. Davidrj was, but his membership has lapsed. With so little crossover, I don't think that one meeting place will replace the other. Every member of the South Manchester is on the web, so this clearly hasn't stopped them going to meetings.

Anyway, it is good to compare notes and see what people have bought.

I started from change, but that did lead me into a pursuing a bigger collection - you can thank the olympic coins for that. My other half's father had a small coin collection which he showed me once I had a few coins and that's when I decided to collect pennies, I just enjoy the appeal of them and the history behind it all.

You're certainly not wrong though, the 'older' gentlemen do outweigh the young by quite a lot in this field, but I suppose that's how it should be seeing as it was another 20 years after the decimalisation that I came along, most of you at least used some of what you collect as currency at one point!

I'm not a member of any clubs though, but I live in Spain and they don't really have anything geared towards English coins here. I do prefer forums though, that's just how I've grown up, I've always been online..

Nutsaboutcoins, I was actually thinking about coming along to one of the Tyneside NS meetings, but was not sure how I would fit in or like yourself what I would get out of it. I suppose it would be a good chance to meet people with similar hobbies and interests. Its Gateshead where you meet isn't it.

Nutsaboutcoins, I was actually thinking about coming along to one of the Tyneside NS meetings, but was not sure how I would fit in or like yourself what I would get out of it. I suppose it would be a good chance to meet people with similar hobbies and interests. Its Gateshead where you meet isn't it.

You would be most welcome to come along and "try before you buy" so to speak, we are a friendly bunch.

Our next meeting is the 14th October or any second Wednesday of the month. if you follow the link in my signature it will give you details, but please excuse the fact that the website is about a year out of date, the location and times are still correct.

PM me if you want more details.

Ian..

I'm not a member of any societies, partially because I feel committed enough as it is, and partially because I like the sort of anonymity that the Internet provides.

Societies do good work though, especially with their journal production.

I agree my collection stays at home without insurance but I do have a dog and a gun plus a few bits of extras.

No clubs near me now, although there used to be one. Must have packed in due to lack of support.

I'd probably join if there was a local one, although I'm not sure I'd really take to turning out at 7:30pm on the first Monday of every month, to sit in some draughty church hall, often to talk about the type of coins I'm not that interested in. Numismatics is a very wide hobby.

No clubs near me now, although there used to be one. Must have packed in due to lack of support.

I'd probably join if there was a local one, although I'm not sure I'd really take to turning out at 7:30pm on the first Monday of every month, to sit in some draughty church hall, often to talk about the type of coins I'm not that interested in. Numismatics is a very wide hobby.

You are right 1949, you do have to get through all the things you are "not" interested in, at a coin club meeting, before getting to something you are interested in. The thing that makes the coin club meeting for me, is the monthly auction. Our monthly coin club has anywhere from 70 to 95 collectors in attendance, and a 100-150 lot auction, each month. If they didn't have the auction, the attendance would be much smaller! :)

• Like 1

It's no bad thing to be introduced to other areas of interest.

This year our talks are as follows:

Designs on Decimal

Coinage of Napoleon I

Wild Men & Running Horses - Our German Heritage

Heaven blesses George's throne

Times and Coins of William the Lion

The Congleton Hoard

Coinage of the first two Georges

Viking Coins of York

In the past we have had Graham Dyer talking about Victorian milled coins, Joe Bispham on Edward VI base shillings, Lee Toone on Romano-British, I've given talks on the Weyl Patterns and Charles I Civil War coinage, Edward I/II pennies, plus there have been many more talks on equally diverse topics.

It's good to get away from your usual hunting ground as it makes you ask questions on subjects that you would ignore in normal circumstances.

• Like 1

Designs on Decimal

Coinage of Napoleon I

The Congleton Hoard

Viking Coins of York

In the past we have had Graham Dyer talking about Victorian milled coins, Joe Bispham on Edward VI base shillings, Lee Toone on Romano-British, I've given talks on the Weyl Patterns and Charles I Civil War coinage, Edward I/II pennies, plus there have been many more talks on equally diverse topics.

It's good to get away from your usual hunting ground as it makes you ask questions on subjects that you would ignore in normal circumstances.

Do you belong to the Reading Coin Club?

No, the South Manchester. Reading is Derek's stomping ground.

You are right 1949, you do have to get through all the things you are "not" interested in, at a coin club meeting, before getting to something you are interested in. The thing that makes the coin club meeting for me, is the monthly auction. Our monthly coin club has anywhere from 70 to 95 collectors in attendance, and a 100-150 lot auction, each month. If they didn't have the auction, the attendance would be much smaller! :)

I find one of the benefits of attending a coin club is seeing and talking about new things I might not otherwise come across.

The Tyneside Numismatic Society I attend has an auction each month too, but we could only dream of having 70 members and 100 lots, we also meet in a pub, so beer on tap and no draughty church hall for us :D

I find one of the benefits of attending a coin club is seeing and talking about new things I might not otherwise come across.

The Tyneside Numismatic Society I attend has an auction each month too, but we could only dream of having 70 members and 100 lots, we also meet in a pub, so beer on tap and no draughty church hall for us :D

Hutsaboutcoins, If I get back to Great Britain, I want to visit your coin club. The idea of meeting in a Bar is appealing! Ha,Ha! :)

A monthly auction would make attendance a must. A definite attraction B)

Designs on Decimal

Coinage of Napoleon I

The Congleton Hoard

Viking Coins of York

Yes, some of those topics do sound quite captivating. Moreover, having guest speakers is definitely a good thing.

Of course, Manchester, being a big City, will have more members, and be able to attract notable speakers. I live in a medium sized town, and the available pool of interested parties will be that bit lower. Unfortunately.

Sounds good. Do you hire a separate room, as it would be very noisy in the general bar area?

Designs on Decimal

Coinage of Napoleon I

The Congleton Hoard

Viking Coins of York

Yes, some of those topics do sound quite captivating. Moreover, having guest speakers is definitely a good thing.

Of course, Manchester, being a big City, will have more members, and be able to attract notable speakers. I live in a medium sized town, and the available pool of interested parties will be that bit lower. Unfortunately.

The size of the city is not important. Our club has just over a dozen members. The Lancs and Cheshire has fewer. Most guest speakers are persuaded on the back of individual contacts. Most people who visit to talk are on good terms with one or more members. So for example, the talk about William the Lion required someone from our club to reciprocate. I was therefore volunteered to give a talk at the Uni in February for the Lancs and Cheshire. It helps if the constituent members are part of the BNS and attend conferences and the like. This enables like minded people to help each other.

We also meet in a pub. The Nursery in Heaton Moor which does Hydes beers. :)

Edited by Rob

Tyneside has around 25 members, with usually around 15-20 attending any evening. We struggle to get speakers, but I think meeting on a mid week evening makes it difficult for speakers to travel, we have an auction of members lots most meetings, which is well supported.

We stopped having auctions because the collecting habits of members were simply too diverse, with only a couple people collecting similar pieces, i.e. there was virtually no competitive bidding which rendered an auction meaningless.

In the wilderness of West Cumbria there are no clubs ( as far as I know) but so are dealers or shops to cater for my taste! So the forum and internet are my mainstay!!