British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nikki

2013 50p royal mint error

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me what error this is? Pleasepost-8876-0-57839200-1442315738_thumb.jp

Sorry I couldn't get a clearer picture. If you look at harp it has lines both ways. Also it's like the lions have an outline. The fifty pence words are bigger. The line dividing the harp and lions look bigger. The bottom line at base of the shield the dots look different. The dots on the shield have patches that are normal and some patches it looks like there's extra dots. Bottom of harp the dots around it looks more like sharp teeth.Sorry for the essay

Could be many things, probably a doubled error, of which there are many!

Have a look here for a little more info on doubling.

I'd agree that it is double struck.

Actually it looks like a modern fake to me.. very interesting! Picture of the other side please?

Thanks Mr T.

Tom this is front of the coin, it don't look or feel like a fake.

post-8876-0-83899800-1442668599_thumb.jp

Actually it looks like a modern fake to me.. very interesting! Picture of the other side please?

They're faking these now too?

Intriguing! It does at first look doubled. However there are elements on your coin that I can't see on the one I picked out of my daughter's purse to look at. It's like there is extra metal around all the edges of the design, but some parts such as the dots under the lower lion's back leg I can't explain through a double strike ...

Clearly I haven't paid enough attention to modern coinage. When for example did the start employing school kids to do the designs? Those lions are rubbish!

Can you weigh yours at all? Because it still looks dodgy to me and I'm curious. If it is a fake (or even if it isn't) I don't suppose it will be worth much of a premium over a regular one, but it's still very interesting, so thanks for posting it!

They're faking these now too?

I have what I think is a cast 1997 50p, but have not seen one like this before ... Why copy 50p? No idea, but I did hear of fake 20ps .. hardly worth the effort I'd have thought, but maybe that's the point .. people wouldn't question it.

:)

I will try and get it weighed. I don't think it is fake though. How much should it weigh? I know there are fake £2 coins I've had a few of them at work. This one sounds the same as other 50p's when you drop them. Have you seen my 2014 10p? The royal mint want me to send it to verify it's authenticity, but I've had coins go missing in the post before so don't want to send it.

It should weigh exactly 8.0g

Not sure if it's related but it's interesting:

10 p

Edited by TomGoodheart

Is that just an ordinary 10p? This is the one I found the other day

post-8876-0-17927800-1442789150_thumb.jp

post-8876-0-15504900-1442789182_thumb.jp

post-8876-0-71785100-1442789358_thumb.jp

aliexpress is a site where you can buy replica goods of pretty much any description. All made in China.

The 10p listing I linked to appears to also be for replica coins, though their descriptions are never very clear as to exactly what you're getting .. maybe you have one of those too!

All very curious.

Wow didn't even know them websites existed lol. It says on description it is made from iron. How can I tell of mine is iron or cupro-nickel? If it is a copy it's not a very good copy lol. It sounds the same as other 10p when you drop it.

If it's iron it will be magnetic, CuNi will not be..

Thanks rob I just checked them the only things that ain't magnetic are 50p and 20ps.

I just found a site where a guy had the same edging for a 2011 10 p but he didn't have any design missing from coin. People said it was a broad strike . Because the 10p I have has parts of design missing this is apparently known as an off centre broad strike. Would anyone agree?

It looks like it's just off-centre as opposed to being an off centre broadstrike.

I think the edge bit makes it the broad strike not sure though only going by what I read on that site.