British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Unrecorded Edward II Farthing (EDWADVS REX A)

Not quite so pretty I confess, but my first unrecorded farthing of Edward II, which I'm hoping Withers will add to an addenda and/or future publication update? :)

Die-sinker error EDWADVS REX A

Withers does catalogue an EDWADVS REX AN under Type 30k bis, but that's as close as we get - DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT bis MEANS PLEASE?

Of some charm is the on-die repair to the broken-topped E in Edwadvs.

Farthing%20Type%2030_unrecorded15_zpsx4t

Bis usually means again or repeated.

Ah, OK, that makes sense on referring back to the book, many thanks for that.

So, a slightly different question...

Does anyone know why a cataloger of varieties would use this term? Or, in the case of Withers listing their farthing varieties, have used the terms Variant AND bis in their Type 30 farthing varieties alone.

For example, they have:

Type 30d 'legend begins at 2 O'Clock'

Type 30d var. 'legend begins at 4 O'Clock'

Type 30k 'legend ends AX in error'

Type 30k bis 'R missing from EDWADVS'

Is this just a method of inserting updates into a revised addition?

I spoke to a friend regarding this and he said he knows of two different EDWADVS varieties, one known from two obverse dies. He also said: "In other words, this mistake has been made three times! I wonder if it was the same person cutting the die each time, who couldn't spell the king's name" and that yours is is a variety of Withers type 30b reading +EDWADVS REX A. He has one of these from a different die to yours, as the initial cross is in a different position.

He's very interested in this if you so choose to sell...

I spoke to a friend regarding this and he said he knows of two different EDWADVS varieties, one known from two obverse dies. He also said: "In other words, this mistake has been made three times! I wonder if it was the same person cutting the die each time, who couldn't spell the king's name" and that yours is is a variety of Withers type 30b reading +EDWADVS REX A. He has one of these from a different die to yours, as the initial cross is in a different position.

Clive

Are you still in Cambridge?

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and still haven't decided what I want to see at the Fitzwiiliam.

I think I can spring this one as Mrs Peter and the Misses Peter's fancy a shopping trip lunch ETC.

A small price to pay for a family hug and karma.

Clive

Are you still in Cambridge?

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and still haven't decided what I want to see at the Fitzwiiliam.

Afraid not, Peter. I moved this time last year but can still give recommendations on what to see at the Fitz, especially as I spent many an afternoon holed up there.

Bis usually means again or repeated.

Unless it's German which means until

Thanks, Clive. I can totally see the logic for cataloguing this coin under 30b var. or similar, but Withers certainly doesn't follow that pattern in the book. For example, you'd expect the only other EDWADVS Type 30 coin he mentions, which is EDWADVS REX AN, to be catalogued as an error under 30h (the EDWARDVS REX AN coin), but he lists it instead as 30k bis???? Anyway, I've sent it to him with a polite email, so we'll see what he makes of it.

Re your friends example of my coin from a different die, does it have the very characteristic repaired E in Edwardus? The cut-out letters on my above illustration demonstrate it really well.

And many thanks for the offer re selling, but I'm going to do my damned best to hold onto my new Plantagenet series. :)

One other point? Does your friend have, or know of, another example of Type 30l (the coin I mentioned in another hammered thread), it would be useful to resolve that thread? Colin hasn't ever seen one, so I'm on the look out, just to solve the mystery.

Just a quick update...I've just heard back from Bente Withers, and they'd like photos to include this farthing in their next publication as a new variety! Whoo hoo, I'm loving these Plantagenets! Means I'll have to buy a new copy when it comes out! :)

Stu this must be dead exciting and rewarding for you, just what an enthusiast hopes for when they embark on a new area of focus :) :)

Re your friends example of my coin from a different die, does it have the very characteristic repaired E in Edwardus? The cut-out letters on my above illustration demonstrate it really well.

PE2%20664%20W30j%20EDWADVS%20Obv2.jpgPE2%20672%20EDWADVS%20Obv2.jpg

Here are his images. Both look to have the repaired back to the E in my eyes.

Many thanks for your extremely generous effort on this! The top coin is a known variety, and the second is the same variety as mine! I'll look at it on the PC tomorrow, but it looks to be most definitely a different die?

Brilliant stuff, Mr Knipe!

Are you going to share your contact with me? :)